Windows 7 Using 5 GB of RAM idle!

When I first start Windows 7 it normally uses about 1 GB of RAM idle.  After having my computer turned on for an hour or so, the RAM usage creeps up to 5 GB idle.  The RAM usage of the processes in my process list is only around 150 MB.  If I reboot its back to 1 GB, but it slowly creeps back up to 5 GB.... what gives???

I thought I would try to re-install Windows 7 as a possible solution, but I put my Windows 7 DVD in and my computer only shows a readme.txt file on the disk which states something about a UDF error.  Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated June 10, 2019 Views 4,986 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Hi oufan222,

It is possible that your RAM has gone bad. Maybe the fan inside your computer isn't working and your system is overheating. Memory use by any program is affected by many factors, such as memory leaks, conflicting third party programs, and usage patterns.

I've a few methods that you could try.

Method 1 :

Increase the paging file (virtual memory) size

Access the link: Change the size of virtual memory

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Change-the-size-of-virtual-memory

Method 2 :

Use Disk cleanup utility to delete unwanted files from the computer.

Delete files using Disk Cleanup

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Delete-files-using-Disk-Cleanup

Method 3 :

Use the Programs and features wizard in the control panel to remove the program that you do not use.

Check if your Anti-virus software is causing your applications to respond slowly. You can perform a virus scan by visiting the link below

http://www.security-essentials.info/default/index.php?source=CCN-CD242-GOO6270-US-essentials-1&googleid=1028533860

Method 4 :

The next step'd be clean boot, to check if any unnecessary third-party resources and/or programs that can be the cause of this issue.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows Vista or Windows 7 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Note

When you perform a clean boot, you may temporarily lose some functionality. When you start the computer as usual, the functionality returns. However, you may receive the original error message, or you may experience the original behavior.

Follow the below steps to put your computer in clean boot state:

Note

If the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from following these steps. We strongly recommend that you do not use the System Configuration utility to modify the advanced boot options on the computer unless a Microsoft support engineer directs you to do this. Doing this may make the computer unusable.

1. Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.

2. Click Start button, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

3. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)

4. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

Note Following this step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.

5. Click OK, and then click Restart.

Check the below link for more details on clean boot:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:

1.    Click Start button, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

2.     On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.

3.    When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

Azeez Nadeem - Microsoft Support

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.