Windows 7 - USB keyboard and mouse do not work once Windows starts

The following happens to me occasionally:

The keyboard works perfectly in BIOS, at POST and while booting Windows 7/64 Ultimate (I can tell from the [NUM LOCK] LED shining bright). But as soon as the Windows Login screen appears, both, USB mouse and USB keyboard, stop working.

I can tell this from the [NUM LOCK] LED going off and both, mouse and keyboard, not responding.

There is no particular delay discernable. Even waiting for minutes doesn't get the mouse or the keyboard back working. When this happens, the only way to get both, mouse and keyboard, back working is to hard-reset the machine.

I noticed this strange behaviour with several keyboards, mouses and different mainboards. So it doesn't seem to be an issue related to a particular hardware device.

Independant from that I also noticed the following:

• Currently I'm using a GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD3-iSSD mainboard. If I enable XDR (caching the system disk with the small SSD drive) then Windows 7 boots very quickly but keyboard and mouse get deactivated for approx. 5 seconds when the Login screen pops up.
  • When installing Windows, the keyboard rarely didn't enable during POST at all.

I noticed that several people share this same problem. Is this an intrinsic USB HID problem? Or is there some bug in Windows that needs to be fixed?

Answer
Answer
Hi,

This could be a power issue, where Windows is shutting off the power to your USB ports. Try this:

Open Device Manager
Click the "Universal Serial Bus" tree
For each "USB Root Hub" do the following -
Right click "USB Root Hub"
Select Properties
Click Power Management tab
Make sure the box marked "Allow the computer to turn of this device to save power" is NOT checked.

Try rebooting now. Hopefully that will take care of the issue.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2024 Views 23,120 Applies to: