Windows 7 Updates Fail with error 0x80070057

Original Title: Windows 7 Updates Fail

The updates for Microsoft Security Essentials install successfully.  The Security updates and the updates for Windows 7 fail.  I have tried many of the recommendations after reading the discussions.  No network problems have been noted; Fixit finds no problems to be fixed.  I tried the Win update problem detection troubleshooter.  It fixed a few issues but these remain unfixed:  Win Update error ox80070057 (2014-04-06-T-03_27_14p); Problems installing recent updates.  I would appreciate additional suggestions.  Thank you.

Question Info

Last updated November 17, 2019 Views 71,599 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Marlenelichtenstadter,

Thank you for providing a detailed information on your issue. I appreciate the step-by-step troubleshooting and the pains you took to resolve your issue. However, there are a few more steps that we can try to diagnose the root cause and check your system health, in order to fix the issue permanently.

As per the description which you have posted in your post seems that you are unable to install the updates, this problem may occur if one or more of the following conditions are true:

1. The Windows Update database is corrupted.
  2. Antivirus software is configured to scan the %Windir%\SoftwareDistribution folder.
  3. The Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) service does not receive a content link header.
  4. A required system file is registered incorrectly.

Try the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1

If I am not wrong you had tried the below Windows Update troubleshooter to fix your problem and if this is not the same link then try to run the troubleshooter.

Open the Windows Update troubleshooter

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/open-the-windows-update-troubleshooter

Method 2

Step 1

If issue still persists I would suggest you to reset Windows Update components and for that try to run the fixit provided in the following article. If you had already tried the same fixit before I would request you to run the fixit again.

How do I reset Windows Update components?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058/en-us#LetMeFixItMyselfAlways

Step 2

Try to follow the steps provided in the following Microsoft Article and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot problems with installing updates

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates#1TC=windows-7

Method 3

If after performing both steps issue persists try to follow the different steps provided in different methods of following Microsoft article.

Unable to install updates in Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2509997

Registry disclaimer: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

You can use the following link in order to back up and restore the registry in Windows: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

Important:

While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Hope this helps. If issue still persists, post back with current status of your computer and result of proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Ramesh Kumar.

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I feel as though I am running in circles, and that there is no solution to this problem.  I believe I have previously tried or attempted to try every suggestion mentioned here and elsewhere:

Method 1:  Run Troubleshooter to Fix Problem:

Again ran troubleshooter.  Same Results. " Problems found and not fixed: OX80070057 (2014-04-08-7-07_3-_09P): Problems Installing Recent Updates; Detected:  Check for missing or corrupt files"

Method 2: Reset Win Components.   Run MS FixIt:

Had run several times.  Ran again:  "online search for updates ran successfully.  Restart WinUpdate and check for updates."  Error code: 80070490 (Went to "Get Help" with this code.  Could not activate MS Help & Support.

Method 3:

service pack installation for users?  No

manually tried to install 14 updates, 12 succeeded; 2 failed (Code 80070490):  Security Update KB2705219; Update for Win & KB2647753 (tried to download "roll-up" . Validation tool could not run

Under Registry Editor, Could not find Registry Key or Sub-key for back-up.

Thank you in advance for further suggestions.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Marlenelichtenstadter,

Thank you for keeping us updated about the issue.

According to the error message which you receive, I would suggest you to try the steps mentioned in the following Microsoft article and see if it helps.

Windows Update error 80070490

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update-error-80070490#1TC=windows-7

Error code 0x80070490 when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update to install updates

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044/en-us

Hope this would do the trick. If issue still persists, post back with current status of your computer and result of proposed suggestions, we will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Ramesh Kumar.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for trying to help me.  This is what I tried:

Downloaded and ran System Update Readiness Tool.

Ran automatic troubleshooter - Win Update for this error.  Listed failures so I tried to generate report but Windows Update did not respond.  Diagnostics Troubleshooting Wizard did not respond.

Ran MS Fix-It (which I had run several times previously).

Do not have a Windows DVD to repair Windows so followed instructions to make my own.  However, when I tried to start the repair process by typing D:\setup.exe the response was "Windows cannot find."

Problem continues; previously proposed solutions did not work either.

I think I have to live with the problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I would suggest you to perform SFC scan and check if that helps. The SFC /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

For more information how to do SFC/ scan, please follow this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Once this is done, restart the computer and try to install any one pending Windows Update to check the status.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your reply.

I did use the System file checker tool and received this message:  "Windows Resource  Protection did not find any integrity violations."  I restarted my computer and checked for updates.  There were 2 and I tried to manually install them.  They failed.  They were:  Security update for Win 7 (KB2705219) and Update for Win 7 (KB2647753).  Looking at the history, I note that only definition updates for MSE install successfully and 1 Hotfix KB947821.  All else are failures.

I would appreciate any further suggestions.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

-          What is the error message you get when the updates fail to install?

You may proceed with a clean boot state and try to install the updates manually to check if this helps.

When you start Microsoft Windows, typically there are several programs that start automatically and run in the background that may interfere with the game. These programs may include antivirus and system utility programs. When you perform a clean startup procedure, you prevent these programs from starting automatically.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7, Windows 8:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” in the article to boot to normal startup.

Reply with the status of the issue and we will be glad to offer our assistance.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had similar problems: auto and manual installation of updates appear to succeed, then at restart the updates fail with error code 0x80070057, and they are "reverted". I get messages indicating that the service registration is missing or corrupt.  I was hacked a short while back and wonder whether the repeated failure of updates to install is in part due to whatever virus has been responsible for the hack? I should say I have run various security programs (Norton originally; subsequently McAfee which is recommended by my email provider) and they all find nothing beyond the odd tracking cookie which they rate as "mild threat" and have dealt with. Supposedly.

I have tried all the advice so far, without success.

Because I am not especially tekkie and support seems to be via these threads only, I may well have to take my laptop into a repair workshop and let them sort it.

But before I do that, any further advice is welcome. Thanks. David Sharp.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

If you suspect that there might be some elements of virus on the computer then you may run a full computer scan with Microsoft Safety Scanner to make sure that the computer is free from virus. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if you are able to install the updates.

Microsoft Safety Scanner: http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Note: There could be a loss of data while performing a scan using Microsoft safety scanner to eliminate virus if any.

Further, to check the health of the system files, you may run the SFC scan. I would suggest you to perform SFC scan and check if that helps. The SFC /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

For more information how to do SFC/ scan, please follow this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Once this is done, restart the computer and try to install any one pending Windows Update to check the status.

Article for reference:

Updates: frequently asked questions: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/updates-faq#1TC=windows-7

Reply with the status of the issue and we will be glad to offer our assistance.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same error messages all the time:  Sec update Win 7 KB 2705219; Update for Win 7 KB 2647753.  These are noted as important.  The only updates that succeed are those marked optional.

I tried to go through the clean boot process more than a month ago, as recommended. I reported that once I clicked Hide MS Services I could not right click Disable All as it had faded.  Maybe there is nothing left for me to do.  It's really bad news that all the important updates fail.

Sorry this didn't help.