Windows 7 update problem - Error code 80070003

I'm using window7 home edition 64-bit. I'm unable to get windows update automatically for sometime. It fails to update and I get an error code 80070003. I tried what the troubleshooting suggested but failed. What to do?

Usually this means that the temporary files used for Windows Update are corrupted. You can delete them manually if the troublshooter doesn't work.

Stop the Windows Update Service

1. Open Administrative Tools by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type administrative tools, and then click Administrative Tools.

2. Double-click Services. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Click the Name column heading to sort the names in reverse order. Find the Windows Update service, right-click it, and then click Stop.

Delete Temporary Update Files

1. Open Computer by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Computer.
  2. Double-click the local hard disk where Windows is installed (typically, drive C).
  3. Double-click the Windows folder, and then double-click the SoftwareDistribution folder.

4. Double-click the DataStore folder to open it, and then delete all files in the folder. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

5. Click the Back button. In the SoftwareDistribution folder, double-click the Download folder to open it, delete all files in the folder, and then close the window. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Restart The Windows Update Service

1. Open Administrative Tools by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type administrative tools, and then click Administrative Tools.
  2. Double-click Services. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation
  3. Click the Name column heading to sort the names in reverse order. Find the Windows Update service, right-click it, and then click Start.
  4. Close the Services window and the Administrative Tools window.

Please note: Deleting temporary update files will help solve the problem, but it will also delete the history in Windows Update. You can still see which updates are installed on your computer by going to Installed Updates.

After this is finished, try running Windows Update again and see if this has solved your problem.

MCTS, Windows 7

26 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply. Actually I had done this too. But it still didn't work.
Any other suggestions?

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just got a brand new Microsoft windows 7 cell phone every time i try to install the software for phone.
I keep getting that STUPID  ERROR MESSAGE 80070003.
I followed the steps religiously and it still doesn't work.
This laptop is less then a year old with windows 7 premium 64 bit.
Can some one please help me !!!
I cant understand why a windows 7 phone wont work with a windows 7 laptop    

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Assuming it's really an 8007013 error, see http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Windows-Update-error-80070103

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tip: Obtain any driver updates you really need from the device or computer manufacturer's download page only, NEVER via Windows Update (i.e., hide any driver updates offered via Windows Update).

• HOW TO Avoid driver updates being installed via Automatic Updates
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2500967

Also see...

• HOW TO Hide an Update or Restore a Hidden Update
     http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/24376-windows-update-hide-restore-hidden-updates.html

• Change how Windows installs or notifies you about updates
      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Change-how-Windows-installs-or-notifies-you-about-updates

If you select the "Download updates but let me choose..." option, no updates will be installed without your approval. If you select the "Check for updates but let me choose..." option, no updates will be downloaded without your approval.

NOTE: Any change you make now will NOT be applied to updates already in the installation queue. As far as Automatic Updates is concerned, you've already Approved those updates.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 14, 2024 Views 9,516 Applies to: