Windows 7 Update postpone button not working

After losing a lot of work some time ago because of an automatic reboot I changed the policy to never reboot automatically with logged on users. Now I get a message where I can click to reboot or postpone for up to 4 hours, I did click 4 hours several times now and did click it yesterday for the last time and closed my laptop. This morning the message popped up again and I selected 4 hours and clicked 'postpone'. Immediately after clicking this window came up, giving me 10 minutes without postpone option :/

I was able to get some more time by changing the system clock, but how do I kill this thing now without reboots? I want this dialog gone and my clock set back to the correct time. And how do I prevent these dialogs in the first place without disabling Windows Update completely?

(I have a legit 64-bit Windows 7 Professional installation)

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. I can understand the inconvenience you had to face on this issue.

Please refer to the suggestion posted by John John MVP replied on April 13, 2015 on the following thread.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-prompt-for-restart/511cb6ca-c523-48c6-9e0e-fd07814c9a87

Hope this information was helpful.

Regards,
Sahil Bali

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 15, 2020 Views 420 Applies to: