Windows 7 update KB2847927 error code 80070005.

Original Title: Windows 7 update KB2847927

Hi,

This update KB2847927 won't install and repeatedly throws up Error: 80070005.

What is Error:80070005 and what does it mean. What do I have to do to successfully install KB2847927.

Your help would be greatly appreciated, please

Subsequent to the 1st answer from Gerry, I scanned all 3 of my systems with MSERT malware removal tool. All are clear. The 2 systems affected are fully updated except for KB2847927. I have given Administrator permission on both for the update to proceed. Still the update refuses to install and throws up the same error 80070005. There must be a fault in this update.

tdg2594

Answer
Answer

Solution 2....

Initially I tried all methods described in previous posts and managed to get Windows Defender back up and running by copying files from a working windows 7 PC over to my own. However KB2847927 still failed after this.

Checking my CBS.log the following error was located relating to KB2847927:

013-10-07 10:04:49, Error                 CSI    00000228 (F) STATUS_FILE_IS_A_DIRECTORY #856520# from Windows::Rtl::SystemImplementation::DirectFileSystemProvider::SysCreateFile(flags = (AllowFileNotFound|AllowSharingViolation|AllowAccessDenied), handle = {provider=NULL, handle=0}, da = (FILE_GENERIC_READ), oa = @0x199e2a0->OBJECT_ATTRIBUTES {s:48; rd:NULL; on:[124]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_security-malware-windows-defender_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_b5e2b6396ecea306\MsMpRes.dll"; a:(OBJ_CASE_INSENSITIVE)}, iosb = @0x199e350, as = (null), fa = 0, sa = (FILE_SHARE_READ|FILE_SHARE_WRITE|FILE_SHARE_DELETE), cd = FILE_OPEN, co = (FILE_NON_DIRECTORY_FILE|FILE_SYNCHRONOUS_IO_NONALERT|0x00004000), eab = NULL, eal = 0, disp = Invalid)

This led me to the folder:

c:\windows\winsxs\amd64_security-malware-windows-defender_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_b5e2b6396ecea306\

I noticed that all files within this directory has no security settings set within properties. I then cut and paste all files within this directory into a new folder. One in the new location they seem to appear as links rather than files.

Now that the files were removed from their original location running windows update completed successfully. 

It seems this may be symptoms of a virus.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

I have Forefront Endpoint protection which is similar to MSE. Windows Defender is therefore disabled. Checking the folder "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender" folder, I noticed that it has been replaced by a shortcut. The same for all the files within it. Probably by some virus in the past - not sure.

1. I changed ownership of the Windows Defender folder and files to myself. This is to allow me to delete them. Otherwise, it gives a message saying I need SYSTEM permission.
  2. Deleted the entire "Windows Defender" folder and replaced it with a copy from another machine with the Windows 7 SP1 system.
  3. Stopped the Windows Update service
  4. Deleted the c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder
  5. Restarted the Windows Update service.

Sep 3, 2012: I managed to get back to this problem and solved it finally. My windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.Log is showing file file access problem in \windows\winsxs\amd64_security-malware.... I check that directory and found the same problem as the one I reported above for the Windows Defender files. I did the same thing as above to the files in this directory. Basically - deleted the shortcuts and copied the defender files in. Ran the update and voila! Success finally. I'll have to see if the update returns but Windows Update log shows it is successful!

In Summary: The update is indeed not able to access some files. If you can find the file and grant access, that will fix the problem. In my case, a virus attack replaced Windows Defender files with shortcuts to the windows/config folder. This includes the backup files in \windows\winsxs.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 26, 2019 Views 22,627 Applies to: