Windows 7 Update Issues after System Restore

My 3-month old Windows 7 computer issued intermittent error messages at Shutdown since Feb 5, so I did a System Restore to Feb 1.

System Restore was successful – and shutdown issues seem to have disappeared.

Now, I am having trouble installing Windows Updates -- and I do not have the info required to reinstall the updates issued between Feb 1 and today, Feb 13.

Before doing System Restore, I wanted to have a list of specific updates installed between Feb 1 and Feb 13, 2013 so that I could confirm that “Windows Update” reinstalls each one.

They are: Feb 1 – Windows Update/Critical.  This is the Restore Point, so I assume this update remains installed.  PLEASE CONFIRM.

Feb 5, 8 and 12 – total 3 WindowsUpdates/Critical between Feb 1 Restore Point and Feb 13 System Restore.

I checked “Installed Updates” and “Update History.” Neither list any updates done after Jan. 10 and “Show Hidden Updates” is empty.

At “Uninstall Updates,” only the names of “Optional Updates” appear.  Again, none of the aforementioned “Critical Updates” is listed.

PLEASE PROVIDE KB-no.’s for the Critical Updates issued Feb. 1, 5, 8 and 12 so that I can reinstall these manually.

Feb 13 – I did not install the 15 updates MS released today before doing System Restore.  9/15 updates were successful. 

6/15 will not install.  Is this because some are built upon the previous updates.  PLEASE CONFIRM.

Things I tried: running Windows FixIt, disable antivirus (MS-Security Essentials), installing each update separately, re-booting between attempts.

6/15 still do not install.  Description and Error codes are:

Code 641 about .NET Framework, update KB2789642

Code 8007064 re: Office 2010, PowerPoint, Outlook, Office, Office… KB982726, KB2598240, KB2760631, KB2553378 and KB2597090.

PLEASE PROVIDE info and direction.

Thanks in advance for your help.

|
Answer
Answer

1. Replacement laptop...received 11.30.12. I did not turn it “on” until 12.6.12

2a. First thing I tried to do on 12.6.12 was install MSE. But it was already installed...

2b. C:/Program Files – 9.28.12 and in C:/Program Files (x86) – 9.28.12

BTW,

2c. AntiMalware version 3.0.810.7.0

<SELECTIVE SNIPPAGES>

I did install and run Webroot [Secure Anywhere v8.0.2.96] Spysweeper, the day [after I installed] IObit/Advanced System Care [both of which were] uninstalled with System Restore.

5b. [neither] KB2769369, KB2742599 [nor] KB2758694 [are listed]

KB2789642 [as well as] MS-Office 2010 updates KB982726, KB2553378, KB2760631, KB2597090 and KB2598240 [have also failed to install]

7. Yes, Google Chrome v. 24.0.1312.56 was installed by Lenovo on 9.28.12

IMHO your problem was initially caused by your injudicious use of registry cleaners (i.e., Advanced SystemCare) - albeit at those UniversalTech24x7 scammer's insistence & scare tactics - and possibly by having installed the Webroot application (for some unknown reason but possibly as suggested by the scammers).

But you really made matters worse by using System Restore to "undo" changes & "uninstall" those (and perhaps several other) applications instead of uninstalling them properly via Programs and Features | Uninstall a program.

If you hadn't "deleted" Advanced SystemCare, you might have been able to resolve your problem (whatever it was) by restoring all of the backups in Advanced SystemCare's Rescue Center (followed by a reboot). However, your injudicious use of System Restore's negated that remote possibility.

But there's yet another problem: If Microsoft Security Essentials were installed and working properly, Antimalware Client version 4.2.223.0 (versus your version 3.0.810.7.0 ) would be installed.

NOTE: There never was a public release of Antimalware Client version 3.0.810.7.0 or any other version 3 so I don't know how Lenovo preinstalled it.  In fact, something tells me that the replacement computer Lenovo sent you November may have been a Refurbished computer or even possibly one that another customer had Returned.

QUESTION: Did you purchase the first laptop directly from Lenovo or at a retail store like BestBuy or Wal-Mart?  Did you return the first laptop to Lenovo or the store and did Leonovo or the store provide the replacement laptop in November?

I ask because I think the only way you're going to recover from all this is by formatting the hard-drive & then doing a clean install of Windows - and if it's a Returned or a Refurbished computer, that might make a difference in how you'd go about it.

Or you might want to return the laptop to Lenovo or the store & demand a full refund - and then take your business elsewhere.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 4, 2021 Views 5,242 Applies to: