Windows 7 update fails with code 80070308
Window 7 x64 sp 1.
Windows Update files load to windows/software distribution / download, but installation fails.
But unable to install:
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2647516)
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2654428)
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2660465)
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2640148)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for x64-based Systems (KB2633873)
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2645640)
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2660075)
SP1 and many updates installed OK with only occasional failures, until the above batch.
Was able to install: Update for Office File Validation 2010 (KB2553065), 32-bit Edition
Installation date: 22/02/2012 9:44 p.m. Installation status: Successful
Have attempted to resolve with " FIXIT" , removed virus and malware security or clean boot.
Are there any restarts pending after installing updates?
I would suggest you to try the following Methods and check if it helps.
Run the Windows update troubleshooter and check if it helps.
Open the Windows Update troubleshooter:
Perform a cleanup of .Net Framework and check if that helps.
Try the steps provided in the following Microsoft article and check if it helps.
Troubleshoot problems with installing updates:
For further reference, check the following Microsoft article.
Learn how to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1):
Hope the information is helpful.
- Forum Moderator (Multiple Forums)
Windows Update error 80070308 solution
First, use FixIt for Windowthwes update and try delete or rename %windir%/SoftwareDistribution
If rename SoftwareDistribution not solve the problem, try this:
1. Open Regedit
2. Go to HKLM\Components
3. Delete or rename REG_DWORD "pendingrequired=1"
Hi kissko. I was referred to the above posting by another member of Microsoft community back in March when I was struggling with windows update. Your method worked like magic. However, I now have another problem with updates. I keep getting error code 80073712 coming up ie windows 7 update failed. Plus I'm getting a repeated message in sys tray stating there are updates available and at the same time when I hover over shutdown button, there's a note about shutting down and installing updates. When I check update history, certain updates come up as failed so I download these manually from Microsoft website. So I've tried your method with regedit etc. But when I go into HKLM\Components, there is no sign of REG_DWORD "pendingrequired=1". I'd be more than grateful if you can crack this one for me.