Windows 7 Unable to function - "Remote Procedure Call Failed and Did Not Execute"

I'm at my wits end here. Using my laptop to access the web and try and get some much needed help.

My PC has been running like new, no major problems until yesterday, it was slow and started to freeze up. Later it froze and I did a re-boot and got the message : "Remote Procedure Call Failed and Did Not Execute" when I tried to open a program or file.

Now, my desktop booted up (after a long time) everything loaded and is visable but all my programs are non-functional. I cannot access any files or programs, everything is frozen.

I cannot get the window to come up at the start button to allow me to type. How can I fix this? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!!!

Question Info

Last updated April 8, 2020 Views 8,995 Applies to:

Hi,

This issue might be caused due to one of the following reasons:

-   Due to “Remote Procedure Call” service not running.

-   Due to corrupted System Files.

-   Due to third party security software.

I would suggest you to check the event viewer to know the cause of the issue.

Refer to these articles to know how to check the event logs:

Open Event Viewer

What information appears in event logs (Event Viewer)?

Perform the following troubleshooting methods:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to make sure “Remote Procedure Call” service is started and running.

Follow these steps:

a.       Press “Windows key + R” from the keyboard.

b.      Type “services.msc” without quotes in the search box and hit Enter.

c.       Then right click on “Remote Procedure Call” service and select “Properties”.

d.      Then make sure the service is “Started” and the “Startup type” is set to “Automatic”.

e.      Click “Ok” and close the services window.

Method 2:

Perform System File Check to fix the corrupted system files and then check how it works.

Refer to the link  "How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7" to perform System File Check.

Note: It may ask for Windows DVD to fix and to enable SFC to make more than minor repairs. Some files saved on your computer might get deleted when fixing corrupted files.

Method 3:

Disable the third party security software and check if this fixes the issue.

Refer to the article “Disable antivirus software” to disable the security software

Warning: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

I hope this helps you to fix the issue. If the issue persists or you have any other issues with Windows, please do post it in Microsoft Community. We would be happy to help you.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your fast reply....

I booted up in safe mode. It takes a long while to boot up to the desktop and load the programs. But once all is loaded, I can now function a little bit around the desktop.

I went to services.msc

There were 2 RPC. One was RPCSS and it was set on auto. And the 2nd one was RPC in windows, it was set on manual.

I clicked the Windows RPC and placed it on auto and when I went to start it, I got a window starting unable to start in safe mode.

I re-booted and the computer is the same, no changes. PC still not working, not opening programs.

Next....I went to run: and typed sfc /scannow

It seemed to work, 100% completed.

yes, I was able to disable anti-virus...but still did not help my PC...it takes forever to load up, no access to my programs or files. Sometimes for no reason I can explain why but, it will re-boot itself over and over....sometimes the dump (blue screen) will come up as it's re-booting.

Upon reboot (over and over on it's on) it had a screen to fix errors.

And WOW did I messed things up beyond repair.

It rebooted to a black screen reading: "recent hardware/software change might be installed a file signed incorrectly.....damaged or malicious. If you have Windows CD  (and I don't)  insert and repair......otherwise start windows to investigate further, press the enter key........"

I press the enter key, it takes me to another black screen that reads...."Choose OS to start" ...(and highlighted it has Windows Setup) I press enter and it takes me back to the first black screen...over and over.

I cant get past the 2 black text screens.

Now , unable to bootup at all....I have lost all my files (photos, documents, etc) and sick sick sick to my stomach.

I purchased the PC NEW from Gateway, 10/2009 but do not have the boot up (restore) disc for it :(

Ughhhhhhh, so so so upset and sick over this. Is there anything that I can do?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Cindy,

Step 1:

I would suggest you to perform a system restore from WinRE (Windows Recovery Environment) and try to restore the computer to an earlier point of time before the issue occurred.

To perform WinRE you need to insert the installation disc.

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

Step 2:

If system restore does not work, I would suggest you to do a Startup repair by referring to the article provided in Step 1 and check if the issue persists.

Hope it helps.

Rohit S

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you so much for your fast reply. I am hoping that this isnt a lost cause and I can repair my PC. I have many files saved on disc, but not the recent ones and I'd hate to loose those and my recent photos.

I have a recovery disc on its way to me (I did not have one) and will perform the step you provided.

If it does not work, I will try the Startup Repair as you mentioned in step 2.

QUESTION: Is the startup repair, where you run "services.msc" ???

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Cindy,

Startup repair is not when you run “Services.msc”. Startup Repair can prevent a time-consuming re-installation by diagnosing and repairing problems that prevent Windows from starting. Refer to the article for more details about Startup repair:

Startup Repair

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/products/features/startup-repair

Let us know the results once you follow the steps.

Rohit S

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello!

Got the boot up disc and Windows 7 gave me the start up options, I went to the startup repair (1st one on the list) and it loaded, and rebooted....Got me back into my desktop (thank goodness!) but the PC still has serious problems. Not sure if it's the RPC that first came up, because I do not get that error message now. I can start up successfully into Windows to the desktop, but unable to open any files, print or get online.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Cindy,

Good to know that you were able to boot to the Desktop. It would be great if you can provide additional information about the issue you are currently facing:

1.    What happens when you try to open files or try to print?

2.    Do you get any error message? If yes, what is the complete and exact error message?

3.    Have you logged in as an Administrator?

Please provide more information to assist you better.

Rohit S

Sorry this didn't help.