Windows 7 stuck at black screen after Welcome Screen

My PC is Windows 7 64bit. I've had no issues but have noticed that at times, it was taking a while to get past the Welcome Screen, nothing too long, but may be related. Anyway. yesterday my system just refused to load up any GUI after the Welcome Screen. The first time it did it, the circle in the middle just froze. I allowed ample time before restarting the computer. Upon reloading I was given the usual 'didn't shut down properly' message so opened in Safe Mode then restarted properly. Now it just will not show anything after the Welcome Screen, no Welcome Sound either. I cannot CTRL+ALT+DEL etc so unfortunately, I cannot check to see if explorer has loaded. The computer WILL still allow me to load in Safe Mode, however.

I've seen that a fair few people have suggested using safe mode to restore the system to an earlier time, however I'm almost certain that nothing was downloaded or installed in the last few days and wanted to ensure there were no other solutions.

Any help would be very gratefully received!
Cheers,
Grimble

Hi Grimble,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community Forums.

Based on the description provided, I understand that you have start-up issues with Win the 7 computer. I will certainly help you on this issue.

This issue may occur due to third-party application conflict in the start-up, virus infection or corrupted system files. I would suggest you to try these steps and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Disconnect all the external devices (printers, scanner, USB (universal serial bus) drives, etc) except mouse and the keyboard and then boot up. If this corrects the issue then add the devices back one at a time until you discover the piece of hardware causing the issue. Then get updated driver software for the device.

Method 2:

Try booting into Last Known Good Configuration and see if you can boot fine.

Using Last Known Good Configuration

http://Windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/Windows7/Using-Last-Known-Good-Configuration

Method 3:     

Boot the computer in safe mode and perform Clean Boot and check whether the issue resolves.

Step 1

Safe mode starts Windows with a limited set of files and drivers. Startup programs don't run in safe mode, and only the basic drivers needed to start Windows are installed. Please click on the mentioned link below.

http://Windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Step 2

Put the computer in Clean Boot state to see if there is any software conflict as Clean Boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After Clean Boot troubleshooting step, refer to “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with Clean Boot” from the article.

Method 4:

If issue persists, I would suggest you to perform a startup repair and check if it makes any difference.

Startup Repair: frequently asked questions

http://Windows.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows7/Startup-Repair-frequently-asked-questions

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?

http://Windows.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

In addition, you can do a System Restore from Windows Recovery Consol.

Get back to us for any issues related to Windows. We will be happy to help you. We, at Microsoft try to provide our customers with the best experience.

Regards,
Anil

14 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I am having same issue and none of the alternatives provided work. 

The boot stopped working from one day to the other. 

I am getting stuck at the black screen even with "repair" or "safe mode" options.

I tried removing all USB connections as suggested but no luck.

Any other suggestion?

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Alexandre,

I apologize for the delay in response.

I would appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down the issue.

1. What is the make and model of the computer?
  2. Which operating System are you running?
  3. Did you receive any error message?

Please reply to us with the required information. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

1. What is the make and model of the computer? Gateway LX6810-01, Intel Quad Core 2, Quad Q8200, 8GB DDR2, 640GB SATA HD
  2. Which operating System are you running? Windows 7
  3. Did you receive any error message? No error message. The computer booted by itself overnight (as usual with windows automatic updates). The next morning the PC was stuck at the black screen. I have tried booting on safe mode and it gets stuck at loading drivers. When trying to use the repair option, it also gets stuck at the black screen. Recently I tried to boot with recovery disk on USB drive and it goes from screen "Loading Windows Files" to black screen and also gets stuck.

Thanks for the support.

Alexandre

Hi Alexandre,

I apologize for the delay in response.

I would appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down the issue.

1. What is the make and model of the computer?
  2. Which operating System are you running?
  3. Did you receive any error message?

Please reply to us with the required information. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks so much this helped a lot didnt think my hdmi cord would interfer but all i did was unplug it and now no more black screen tyvm :D

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 23, 2020 Views 35,831 Applies to: