windows 7 starter: setting low battery alarm and determining time remaining

Hi - I have an HP mini with windows 7 starter. Is it possible to set a low battery warning alarm, and also to see how much time remains on the battery (yes, I realise it's imprecise but better something than nothing) rather than just a percentage?

Thank you.

Question Info

Last updated July 1, 2018 Views 11,333 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Step 1: Yes, you can set the low battery notification. Whenever your battery gets to a critical level (you can set it to what you want in your Advanced Power Plan Settings), you also get an audible alarm. Problem is that the default alarm can go unnoticed if you're playing music or are focused on what you're doing. However, you can change it to something that you can recognize and identify with.

a)   Go to Control Panel, Sound.

b)   Click on the Sounds Tab.

c)    The Critical Battery Alarm is near the top of the list of Windows sounds. Click on test to hear it, and note how unobtrusive it is.

d)   You can change it to something better by clicking on the Browse button and finding a WAV file you'll recognize, or you can just make your own WAV clip for the same purpose.

“How do I change the low battery notification?” http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-do-I-change-the-low-battery-notification

Also refer to “Battery meter: frequently asked questions” http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Battery-meter-frequently-asked-questions

Step 2: For the battery meter to show the time remaining, you may want to change the battery meter setting in power options or refer to the user’s manual. You can also  contact HP to check if there are any options within the laptop.

Diana

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.