Windows 7 stalls at “Completing installation” phase

Original title:  Installing Windows Completing installation ongoing for hours

I had to do a custom installation in order to fix the Windows 7 startup repair error which seemed to go okay with several restarts as expected but the systems seems to be stuck on the completing installation activity although all boxes are checked copying

windows files

Expanding windows files

Installing features

Installing updates

and now " Completing installation ..."

2 hours and still running...

Answer
Answer

Hi Donuts01,

At completing installation phase, driver migration takes place. There might be some interference with the driver migration and that is when the installation hangs at this phase.

I would suggest you to try the steps mentioned below.

Step 1: Disconnect all the external devices

If you’ve any external devices apart from mouse and keyboard, please disconnect them all to see if the installation continues.

Step 2: Use Shift + F10

If the installation still hangs at “Completing installation” phase, then press Shift + F10 which opens a command prompt. Once the command prompt is opened, follow the steps mentioned below.

a.    In the command prompt, type explorer.exe and press Enter.

b.    Windows will try to load some settings and it will try to restart itself.

If windows don’t restart, then go ahead and perform a hard reboot by using the power button.

c.    This will complete the installation.

Hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need any further assistance

Mouneshwar R – Microsoft Support

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit ourMicrosoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

979 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2024 Views 177,351 Applies to: