Windows 7 SP1 error 0X80073aa2

When trying to use windows update to get sp1 for Windows 7 installed I download okay, but then during the configuration in reboot I get an error.  When logging back in after I try to install sp1 I get the error sp1 didn't install because "Error_EVT_Configuration (0x80073aa2)".  I don't have any spyware or antivirus running at the time, I've installed the HotFix, and I've used the troubleshooter in Windows 7.

Everytime I run the troubleshooter in the control panel for the windows update it finds an issue and then says it's fixed.  Then I try the install again to the same result.  Is there a specific pattern which the troubleshooter and the hotfix should be run?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank You.

Answer
Answer

All,

Try performing an InPlace Upgrade instead of reinstalling Windows 7.  The InPlace Upgrade should not alter your files or settings, but it is always recommended to backup important documents prior to making any system changes.  The instructions are below:

How to perform a repair installation of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2. Performing a repair installation will restore the current Windows installation to the version of the installation DVD. This also requires the installation of all updates that are not included on the installation DVD.

Note Performing a repair installation will not damage files and applications that are currently installed on your computer.

To perform a repair installation of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2, follow these steps:

1. Close all the running applications.

2. Insert the Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. In the Setup window, click Install Now.

Note If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then type Drive:\setup.exe in the Start Search box.

Note The drive placeholder is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

In the Programs list, click Setup.exe.

In the Setup window, click Install Now.

1. Click Go online to obtain the latest updates for installation (recommended).

2. Type the CD key if you are prompted to do this.

3. Select the operating system in "Install Windows" page you want to Upgrade or Inplace.

4. Click Yes to accept the Microsoft Software License Terms.

5. On the Which type of installation do you want? screen, click Upgrade.

6. When the installation is complete, restart your computer.

Please see: How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2

Cheers

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 21, 2020 Views 1,760 Applies to: