Windows 7 slow boot, black screen and cursor. safe mode fails on classpnp

I installed a new ssd a little over a month ago (corsair force g's 128gb) and have been having a minor problem. randomly with no reason after a reboot the icon cache will play up, it will display both of my other hdd with a question icon and all icons will lose their path locations.

today when I booted up I noticed a increased load time and got the icon cache error again, so I ran the the Icon cache script which deletes the icon cache and restarted my computer. only this time I had about a 5min wait on the Microsoft logo and then it loaded a completely black screen with only the cursor. I am able to use Ctrl +alt + delete function to bring up the task manager and everything seems fine there. once I try and open the source file of any process it will just freeze and I have to restart it.

the second part to my problem is I try and then boot in safe mode and it get stuck on classpnp.sys driver to which nothing happens. 

computer specs
motherboard: gigabyte ga-h61m-ds2
cpu: Intel i-3 2100 @ 3.10ghz
gfx card: radon hd 7700
memory: 8gb ram
corsair Gforce gs 128gb
samsung 160gb ( is backup os which still work at a very slow pace compared to before I had this problem. so I can still perform basic trouble shooting)

methods tried so far

boot in safe mode (see above)
boot in low resolution (black screen and cursor)
reset bios to fail-safe (black screen and cursor)
reset bios to optimised (black screen and cursor)
unplugged Ethernet cable to see if it was programs trying to acess the internet (didn't work) 

Ran antivirus software ( no results)

Hello Sam,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community Forum. I appreciate your efforts towards resolving the issue.

1. What is the complete error message that you get when you boot in safe mode?
  2. When exactly do you get the error message?

I understand that you get a black screen when you boot your system, which possibly seems to be due to the graphics card driver update. However, to get past through the black screen I would suggest you the following methods to give a try and check if the issue reoccurs:

Method 1:

Please follow the underlying steps:

Step 1: Disconnect all the external devices connected except mouse and keyboard.

Step 2: I would have you boot your computer in the last known good configuration.

Step 3: If you are able to boot the computer in step 2, then try to update the graphics card driver from the system manufacturer's website and then try rebooting your system.

If Method 1 does not help, proceed to method 2.

Method 2:

1. Access the Advanced boot options menu by turning on your computer and pressing the F8 key before Windows starts.
  2. Try to open System Recovery Options.(To open the menu refer to the section: To open the System Recovery Options menu on your computer in the link What are the system recovery options in Windows?)
  3. Open Command Prompt, type the following commands and hit ENTER:
         rename  C:\windows\system32\drivers\classpnp.sys  classpnp.old
    Note:
    The command is based on the assumption that the Windows is installed in C: Drive. Change the drive letter for a different drive.
  4. Reboot your computer and check for the issue.

Method 3:

Try to run the additional steps that you haven't tried yet provided in the following link:

Why is my screen black when I start Windows 7?

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Hope this information is helpful. If the issue still persists, please post back for further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Regards,

Harkanwar

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I managed to solve the problem, sorry for the late reply.

The cause was one of my internal hdd had been completely corrupted and wasn't able to be accessed from my OS ssd which had a few shortcuts leading to it. After unplugging my hdd my computer booted correctly and with the normal speed i was used to.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sam,

I appreciate your meticulous efforts in resolving the issue.

So, it turned out to be a hardware issue! I am glad to know that you were able to figure out the root cause and were finally able to fix the issue. The resolution you updated will help other community members as well to solve their similar issues.

In addition to that, please keep us updated if you have any other recurring issues with Windows in future. We'll be glad to assist you again.

Thanks again for sharing!

Regards,

Harkanwar

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 10, 2021 Views 3,577 Applies to: