Windows 7 says wrong password

I was on my computer last night and logged in fine. I've had the same password for years, and i know im typing it right. I have two admin accounts with different passwords and both of them say the password is wrong. Both passwords are written down and im 100% sure im typing them correctly. I started in safe mode and still cant login. In the safe mode menu it has a "repair computer" option. Could there be something corrupt with my operating system?

Answer
Answer

Here are the common reasons why you're not able to log in to Windows:

• Caps Lock might be on.
  • You might be typing the wrong password.
  • You might be trying to log on to the wrong user account.
  • You might have forgotten your password. Are you seeing an option to reset your password? If yes, have you tried resetting your password?

We suggest that you try entering your password again and then check if you'll be able to log in. Before entering the password, make sure that the Caps Lock is not turned on and you're typing the correct password to the correct user account.

If you're still unable to log in, the next step that we suggest is enabling the hidden Administrator account by restarting your computer with the Windows 7 Repair DVD in the DVD Drive. You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS to boot from the DVD. You can call the manufacturer's customer support or computer manual to do that.

After you've successfully booted from DVD, follow the steps below:

1. Click Next when you see the language settings of Windows setup.

2. Select Repair your computer. Now the setup will search for Windows installations then display them, choose the Windows you want and click Next. If you're prompt to restore your computer, just click No.
  3. System Recovery Options window will now show up. Click Command Prompt.

4. Once you see the Command Prompt window, type the following command:

net user administrator/active:yes

5. After that, you'll see a message that the command completed successfully. Log out and you'll now see the Administrator account as a choice.

For more information regarding password issues with Windows, you may refer to the following articles:

Let us know how it goes.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 4, 2024 Views 6,305 Applies to: