Windows 7 Repair CD doesn't connect to network

I have a Dell Studio 8300 i7 processor with Windows 7 Pro running on a wired network no domain. I have been running W7 image backups for sometime and store them on my network drive HPMEDIAVAULT. All that seems to work fine. The image backup runs weekly with no errors. Recently as a test I decided to see what happens if I try to restore the image. My assumption is that my HD is bad and I am starting with a new HD. My expections were that I boot from the Recovery/Repair CD, point to the image backup on my HPMEDIAVAULT, press enter, the image writes to my new HD, I do a normal boot and wala I am back up and running. Unfortunately it doesn't work.

When I boot from the recovery CD it goes through a couple of screens then asks me where the image is. I enter\\hpmediavault\ and it comes back and asks for id and passwork. I enter the same id and password that the system requires during the backup but I get an error stating that the network drive is not reachable 0x800704cf.  The screen that asks for id and password is displaying network name MININT-N4GI0K8 as a domain name. I am not on a domain and the displayed network name means nothing to me. I have tried using the full path in to the hpmediavault folder with negative results. The CD boot screen allows me to go to a cmd prompt which I have tried. I then try to ping other places on the network with no results so I am apparently not connected to the network. If I try the install driver option it asks me to point to a driver. I have tried this numerous times but it just comes back and says the location doesn't contain a driver for my hardware. My other computer on the network can see the HPMEDIAVAULT and allows me to navigate into it. It seems to me that the Recovery CD is just not installing the network drivers which it should do. Life should not be this complicated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Answer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 17, 2021 Views 2,192 Applies to: