Windows 7 Professional Upgrade [Old Version]

It makes for sense to me to pursue this question here.

I asked on Amazon's community about "Windows 7 Professional Upgrade [Old Version]"  My first respondent's response makes no sense to me. I have a legitimate, registered copy of XP Pro. How could the Upgrade product change over time?

See below:

http://www.amazon.com/Version-corresponding-Version-Upgrading-machine-/forum/Fx3W534VO3GU9MU/Tx2G2593XVMCEEB/1/ref=cm_cd_et_voterdr?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B002DHGM50&cdMSG=addedToThread&cdShowComment=MxAT65X8VXWMBQ&cdSort=oldest&newContentID=Mx28Z3EQ64EZ3UH&newContentNum=1#MxAT65X8VXWMBQ

Why is this product called "Old Version." Is there a corresponding "New Version?" If so, how do they differ? Upgrading XPPro (OEM) same machine.

asked by baumgrenze on March 23, 2014

don't waste your money on this. I threw $200 down the toilet. It won't let you upgrade off disc. Says go to "Windows anytime upgrade" online. Go to site and product no longer supported. So you are out of luck. You can buy brand new complete install disc for less.

leo craychee answered on March 23, 2014

baumgrenze said on March 23, 2014  |  Edit

Leo,

Thanks for your comment. I don't understand. If I bought this product from Microsoft 3 years ago and put it aside because I really liked my XP experience that now that I want to use it I won't be able to upgrade? How could the DVD in the box change? I am talking about the product with the SKU-FQC-00130.

thanks

baumgrenze

Thanks once more,

baumgrenze_CA

You have the original upgrade version which is still valid.

The current version includes the SP1 service pack. You can download the SP1 ISO from the links at http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/ and use that with your product key.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It makes for sense to me to pursue this question here.

I asked on Amazon's community about "Windows 7 Professional Upgrade [Old Version]"  My first respondent's response makes no sense to me. I have a legitimate, registered copy of XP Pro. How could the Upgrade product change over time?

See below:

http://www.amazon.com/Version-corresponding-Version-Upgrading-machine-/forum/Fx3W534VO3GU9MU/Tx2G2593XVMCEEB/1/ref=cm_cd_et_voterdr?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B002DHGM50&cdMSG=addedToThread&cdShowComment=MxAT65X8VXWMBQ&cdSort=oldest&newContentID=Mx28Z3EQ64EZ3UH&newContentNum=1#MxAT65X8VXWMBQ

Why is this product called "Old Version." Is there a corresponding "New Version?" If so, how do they differ? Upgrading XPPro (OEM) same machine.

asked by baumgrenze on March 23, 2014

don't waste your money on this. I threw $200 down the toilet. It won't let you upgrade off disc. Says go to "Windows anytime upgrade" online. Go to site and product no longer supported. So you are out of luck. You can buy brand new complete install disc for less.

leo craychee answered on March 23, 2014

baumgrenze said on March 23, 2014  |  Edit

Leo,

Thanks for your comment. I don't understand. If I bought this product from Microsoft 3 years ago and put it aside because I really liked my XP experience that now that I want to use it I won't be able to upgrade? How could the DVD in the box change? I am talking about the product with the SKU-FQC-00130.

thanks

baumgrenze

Thanks once more,

baumgrenze_CA

Its called old version because it is the initial release of Windows 7 Professional that came out in July of 2009. Microsoft in February of 2011 updated Windows 7 with Service Pack 1.

Unlike previous Service Packs, Windows 7 SP1 does not contain any major improvements; it’s basically a rollup of updates that have been released for the operating system since it went to manufacturing July 22 2009. If you have been diligently updating your computer through Windows Update since then, you basically have all that SP1 has to offer.

You can also download Windows 7 Professional with SP1 integrated and use the same product key used to activate the initial release of Windows 7 Professional without SP1.

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Andre and Dominic

If I get the courage to open the shrink wrap and the plastic case that is sealed with the COA to get at the product key so I can determine by phone if the software is genuine I will explore the possibility of downloading the SP1 ISO and putting it on a DVD and avoiding having to do the upgrades one at a time.

Earlier today I photographed the COA that shows through the shrink wrap of my package. I will put it here, too, for reference.

This was taken through the shrink wrap. Should any part of this COA be a color changing hologram? If so, perhaps I have a problem. I see no evidence of that behavior. That said, it looks convincing if it is a counterfeit.

I did a Google Image Search for the string "microsoft coa" and I was amazed that the variation in the images that resulted.

Thanks,

baumgrenze_CA

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 4, 2022 Views 783 Applies to: