Windows 7 Professional OEM License Question

Dear All,

I would like to explain my situation about my lack of Windows licensing knowledge .

First a couple year ago I decide to start an experimental lab which will use a number of computer,

so I brought many set of computer along with Windows 7 Pro OEM which pack in a plain white box
and a red tape on both end and it says OEM " System builder pack Intend for system builder ONLY "

And I have three of these leave untouched including a set of new computer never use for a couple years

(in fact they are still in a box), now it is good to use all of this machine to do a jobs on a daily basis which will
came across Microsoft Office 365 and Microsoft OneDrive.

So the question is :

- I still have right to build and use this OEM License with these machine ?

- Is there any ways to check if these license has been used or taken by someone ?

- Will it be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free ?
- If part of my computer has been broken HDD for example, a re-installation is possible ?

Many Thanks

Peter

Answer
Answer

So the question is :

- I still have right to build and use this OEM License with these machine ?

Yes, as long as they have not been previously installed and used elsewhere.

- Is there any ways to check if these license has been used or taken by someone ?

Unfortunately no, you have to install and attempt activation.

- Will it be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free ?

Yes, you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free from OEM versions. They are qualifying licenses as long as they are activated.

or

How to install and activate Windows 10 using your Windows 7 or Windows 8 product key

- If part of my computer has been broken HDD for example, a re-installation is possible ?

This is the tricky part.

When I upgrade a preinstalled (OEM) or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license to Windows 10, does that license remain OEM or become a retail license?

If you upgrade from a OEM or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade this summer, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from the base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry that licensing too.

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.

If you upgrade from a OEM version, it carries the rights of a OEM version.

Full version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive

Upgrade version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive, but cheaper than full version

OEM :

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

What happens if I change my motherboard?

As it pertains to the OEM license this will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous base qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail Windows 10 license. If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it.

From the Windows 10 end user license agreement:

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

Many Thanks

Peter

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 17, 2020 Views 888 Applies to: