Windows 7 Professional OEM Installation

Hello Everyone,

I just built a PC for the first time this July, and bought a Windows 7 Professional OEM along with it (couldn't find a retail version, and it's the only Windows 7 available from the stores). This is just a home computer and I'm not planning on running a business with it, mainly for gaming. I installed the OS without any tools that the cardboard package told me I needed to use, and I've been told that I don't really need to, if it's just for personal use. Earlier this week (5 months later) I just noticed that there's an "ask for Genuine" logo on the system info. I've not been restricted to do anything so far, and it's not giving me that "not a genuine" issue. So..

1) Does that mean I got scammed, or did I just do something wrong on the installation? Like I said, I'm not really going to build PCs with preinstalled Win7, I just want the peace of mind of having a genuine product, because I shelled out a good amount of money for this.

2) If I messed up the installation, can someone tell me the simplest way to resolve this? I heard I needed to pay for Microsoft phone assistance so I'd rather not call them...

3) If I go the phone assistance route, I have a receipt with the OS and all the build components, you guys think that can help in proving that I haven't changed my hardware and I'm installing it into the same machine?

4) Let's say I give up on it, and just ignore it. What will happen and when?

5) In the event that there is no other solution other than to throw (more) money at the problem and buy me another Windows 7, can I just purchase a genuine RETAIL product key, and use this DVD? If yes, know anywhere I can buy it legally (and cheaply)?

Thank you all in advance!

Hey, Look right beside that symbol does it say that windows is activated? If so that logo means nothing its just some link. So here incase im unclear.

1.) No you didnt get scammed.

2.) Unless it tells you windows is not activated you havent appered to have done anything wrong.

3.)You just call the toll free number if unactivated and give them the hardware id number. Make sure you talk to a person.

4.) If ungeniune wich u doubt since u been running fine for 5 months no problems. You can call to resolve it.

5.) If you it comes to you having to find a retail copy of windows 7 Pro it would depend on where you live.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Jeff,

Yeah I activated it right after I installed it. As for #3, I'm not clear about hardware ID. Do you mean that I need to get this ID for every part I bought (mobo, cpu, graphics, drives)? How do I get the hardware IDs?

I live in the Philippines, and I can't seem to find a retail version of Windows 7, even the established stores are only selling OEMs. I was considering buying online, but I don't know of legit store that ships here, which is why I was considering just buying a key.

Thanks again!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Imf,

As long as windows is activated you dont have to do anything else.

Look what this picture says on a brand new install of windows in a message.

Its more of a windows ad telling you that when you buy ask for genuine Microsoft software.

This is an example of the window showing you Installation ID number.Just for refrence it looks like this

You can get to this step by hitting the windows button. Type run. Open run. Type Slui 4 in the box where it says open.Click ok.Select your Country in this case the Pilippines. It will show the above image with your toll free number(in your case you would have to check as the toll free number about is just an example number) and Installation ID. The Phone operater  Will ask You for your Numbers. Its straightforward from there.  I hope this clears it up.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 23, 2018 Views 142 Applies to: