Windows 7 Photo Viewer Won't Print - opens a .JPG but won't print it - 2nd request

LOTS OF PEOPLE are having this same problem that I describe below.

There is a long thread about this topic over on the Microsoft TechNet Forum. with no answer except some crazy wacky suggestions.

There is an older thread about this topic here on the Windows Answers Forum, and the moderator asked us to submit a newer current question on the same topic.

Here is the problem: we open a .JPG file in Windows7 Photo Viewer, and the picture opens fine and is displayed on the screen. Choose Print at the top of screen, choose print again on the drop down menu. New window opens with all the default choices for printing. Choose the button "Print" and NOTHING HAPPENS. The software just sits there.

The same picture opens and prints perfectly if we use QuickTime or Internet Explorer to print it.

Please go look at the Microsoft TechNet thread about this same topic for more information (but no solution).

Please give an answer WITH INSTRUCTIONS even for the most basic steps.  Which menu to use, where to point-and-click, etc.  Most of us are new to Windows7.

I've been using Windows 7 for about 3 years at home and support 21 Windows 7 computers.  The only time I've seen this is when you print to a network printer that's either not there or not powered on.  When I replaced my printer once on my server, I forgot to update the default printer on my other 3 computers at home and ran into this.  That's the only thing I know of that can cause this kind of thing.

I hope this helps.  Good luck.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you so much for the reply.

Your reply does not match my circumstances, and therefore is not a solution to my question.  In my case. the user prints to a network printer that is right outside her door, clearly powered on and working on, clearly set as her default printer, and is the exact same printer that DOES print the .JPG via QuickTime or Internet Explorer.

I appreciate that you've only experienced the problem under a certain set of circumstances, but I assure you that several people on the Windows Answers Forum and over on the Micrsoft TechNet Forum have the same problem as me that is not caused by using an obsolete or mis-spelled network printer, nor a network printer that's not powered on.

Again, thank you so much for yur answer because the situation you describe might work for somebody else.

94 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

1) Have you made any changes prior to this issue?
2) Do you receive any error message while trying to print?
3) Is the issue confined only with Windows Photo Viewer printing?

Follow the steps mentioned in the articles mentioned below and check if the issue still persists.

Also, refer the article mentioned below which may help you further.
Windows 7 Photo Viewer wont print pictures
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpromedia/thread/7eddd575-49af-4017-9a63-d627d218a04d

Hope this information helps.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Rebecca,

I was having almost exactly the same problem. There was no problem printing with any other applications on the computer, but using Windows Photo Viewer resulted in the experience you were having. Print, nothing happens, Print Properties, nothing happens. I am using a wireless printer. The way I solved this problem was by choosing "Install new printer" from the "Printer:" pulldown menu within the print dialog. It then detected 2 of the same printer, the one that was not working with photoviewer(yet was with all other apps) and one that does work with photo viewer. I did noticed the address Windows Photo Viewer had for the non-working printer did not include the port in the address as the other one does.

Long story short - Run the "Install new printer" option from the "Printer:" pull down menu and  choose the printer it detects that is not the one currently working. 

For example, my photo viewer detected:

HP Photosmart D110a                                      - The one that would not print. Address 192.168.2.5
HP75DFFD (HP Photosmart D110 Series)  - This one prints just fine. Address http://192.168.2.5:<port>     
It should install fairly quickly See what happens. Worked for me! (Although now I have a printer driver labeled specifically for windows photo viewer. Doh. ) And if it doesn't work you can always delete it.

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, some MS programs has some funny ways of working. Changing the default printer worked for me. Yes I had a Canon Printer as default printer and then I switched to the new Xerox Printer.

Seems to me that Photo viewer has to detect if the default printer is online or not. If not, it feels like the program checks the default printer status and gives to it the high priority on the list of printers and after checking the status then it allows or stop the printing process.

Thanks for the heads up.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for this solution.  I had a little trouble understanding this completely at first but I finally was able to do the same.  When I clicked "Install a printer", I then selected the option to install a network printer (vs. a printer connected to a workstation) and but this only displayed my existing printer once.  I selected it and gave it a distinct name (as you had done) and it worked fine, with the same issue of having two instances of the same printer.  Having to do this is rather klugie and I wonder why MS hasn't come up with a more straightforward fix.  In any case, it works and I'm happy.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hula_Baloo, your stating that you don't have this problem does nothing for the discussion.

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you trying to print from a zip file?  I had the same issue and it would not let me print until I unzipped the file.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the above answer. I have tried printing now and it is working. There have probably been some updates to fix it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 28, 2020 Views 38,892 Applies to: