Windows 7 is falsely reporting "No internet access"

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit is falsely reporting "No internet access" (icon has a yellow exclamation point on it) when I actually have full internet access. I have both wired and wireless NIC cards, but the wireless is disabled. I noticed this problem last week when I enabled the wireless for a couple of days and then shut it off.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community!

After going through your issue description, it appears that you have an issue with computer performance. However, in order to guide you in the right direction, I will need some more information. Please help me by answering the questions mentioned below.

1.      What is the make and model of the computer?

2.      Which antivirus are you using?

You are facing this issue might be because of corrupt drivers. Let’s fins the issue cause and try fixing it by performing the following method.

Method 1:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Open-the-Hardware-and-Devices-troubleshooter

Method 2:

I would suggest you to try the steps mentioned in the following link and check the issue status.

Wired and wireless network problems.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/network-connection-problem-help#network-problems=windows-7&v1h=win8tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Hope this information is helpful. If the issue still persists, I would request you to reply us with troubleshooting result to assist you further, we’ll be happy to assist you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

My PC is a Dell XPS 8300 running Win. 7 Pro 64 bit.

My anti-virus is TrendMicro Internet Security Pro. However, I already turned it off, and the problem persisted.

I also tried Methods 1 & 2 above. Neither found a problem.

In short, if I lose my internet access for just a few seconds, when it restores, Windows will then falsely report that it is still down. Once the machine is restarted, the false reporting goes away.

Thank you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message
All I did was open up a command prompt; run nslookup to the site they specified in the article (dns.msftncsi.com), it resolved and the indicator went away; awesome... thanks for the help!

23 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 3, 2020 Views 8,111 Applies to: