Windows 7 home premium update frozen

Hi, I was hoping someone might be able to help me fix my laptop. It's been stuck on the blue screen that says "Configuring windows updates 30% complete Do not turn off your computer." It's been like this for 24 hours and hasn't moved past 30% Thanks

Hi Angela,

We suggest performing a force restart of your laptop. Once your laptop has initiated a restart, before it boots up again, the system will ask you whether to run Windows in Normal mode or Safe mode. If it happens, choose to run in Safe mode. Otherwise, if it doesn't give you that option, press the F8 key on your keyboard repeatedly until Safe mode appears.

We'll look forward to your response.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You solution was not helpful.  After rebooting in safe mode Windows reverted to previous edition then rebooted again with a reconfiguration.  

The Windows Update history reports that all updates were successful except for KB4015549. This failed on 4-12 when attempted with several others that were all successful and on 4-16 when attempted as a single update.  The download was successful and the installation got stuck on 30% as in the screen capture in the initial post.

Windows 7 Home premium Service Pack 1, Intel Pentium 4 processor.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your reply. May we ask if you performing an update using Wireless connection or via a wired connection? If you are using Wireless Connection, please use the local ethernet connection instead and then restart your laptop again.

As for the update KB4015549, it is a security patch for Windows 7. May we ask if you can load up Windows via Safe mode again and try to disable any security software that is currently installed on your laptop (i.e. Norton, TrendMicro, etc.). From there, restart the laptop again and check if the updates pushes through.

We'll look forward to your reply.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Machine is hard wire to network.

I boot in safe mode with networking Windows Update is not available on Control Panel. When I type "Windows Update" in Start -> Search programs & files and click on Windows Update nothing happens.  I've also tried run as administrator. - nothing.

I am logging in with full administrative rights.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your reply. May we suggest uninstalling the updates and reverting back to the previous update? You can perform the following steps below:

1. Go to Start Menu, then Control Panel.
  2. Inside Control Panel, Click System and Security. Then click Windows Update.
  3. Once you click Windows Update, click view update history next which is located on the left pane of the Control Panel window.
  4.  Find the latest update on the list. Once you see the latest update, right click on it and then choose delete.
  5. After deleting the latest update, restart your computer. Make sure to uncheck automatic updates before you exit Control Panel.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 23, 2023 Views 1,801 Applies to: