Windows 7 Freezing At Login

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 installed.  I've had it for awhile and its been fine.  However, today I've ran into a problem.  I was using the computer like normal.  Then left it on and went to do some errands.  I returned and when I went to use the computer I could not get it to work.  The screen was in sleep mode which is normal but moving the mouse or hitting a key did nothing.  So I tried restarting it.  Then when it got to the login screen it froze as soon as I touched a key.  So I tried again.  Same issue.  Each time I try it freezes at some point during the login . Sometimes I can put in my entire password and hit enter.  Then it freezes shortly after.  I have no idea what the issue is.  Restoring to two days ago did nothing.  Any help?
Does the problem persist when you boot into Safe Mode?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Works in Safe Mode.  Oddly enough I was finally able to log in.  Then I tried a restart and it apparently was a fluke because it started that problem over again.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have a look here at Microsoft's guide to solving startup problems that appear in Normal Mode only: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135.
ID#0204. If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click "Propose as answer". Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Didn't help at all.  Disable everything it says and all that for a Clean Boot.  Just keeps freezing.  A couple times now it has actually let me login and I am able to do things as normal.  However, if you restart it will just freeze again.  I have no idea what is causing this.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Completely remove your virus scanner, then try again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi AnnoyedVeryMuch,

How long have you experienced this issue?  Was any new hardware or software, including Windows updates, added/installed?  The links below provide other troubleshooting steps that may help you resolve your issue.

System Restore

Startup Repair

Windows Memory Diagnostics

Dena
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Dena

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had a similar problem on several occasions.  It always happens right after certain Windows Updates.  As soon as I interact with the prompt in some way (by clicking a button, pressing a key, etc.), it freezes.  If I clicked my user name, it disappears.  If I click the arrow next to the Shut Down button, it stays "depressed" and doesn't "pop up" again.  Like the original poster, I can boot into Safe Mode just fine, but Normal Mode always fails until I run System Restore.

I'm not sure exactly which update it is, because I had to run System Restore and that probably erased the information.  I know that Windows Update ran last Friday (5/14/2010), and when I restarted my computer, the login screen was frozen.  This also happened sometime in March, I believe.

By the way, is there some way to get an alternate login prompt when this happens?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had a similar problem on several occasions.  It always happens right after certain Windows Updates.  As soon as I interact with the prompt in some way (by clicking a button, pressing a key, etc.), it freezes.  If I clicked my user name, it disappears.  If I click the arrow next to the Shut Down button, it stays "depressed" and doesn't "pop up" again.  Like the original poster, I can boot into Safe Mode just fine, but Normal Mode always fails until I run System Restore.

I'm not sure exactly which update it is, because I had to run System Restore and that probably erased the information.  I know that Windows Update ran last Friday (5/14/2010), and when I restarted my computer, the login screen was frozen.  This also happened sometime in March, I believe.

By the way, is there some way to get an alternate login prompt when this happens?

Exact same issue here. Was able to bypass the issue by using an onscreen keyboard.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 5, 2023 Views 3,498 Applies to: