Windows 7 Fails to Boot - "autochk program not found, skipping autocheck"

Hi guys,
I'm completely lost with this problem and the internet is not helping so I figured I'd post here in the hopes that someone can help me.

A couple weeks ago, I bought a new 7200rpm hard drive for my laptop to replace the 5400rpm one it came with. Cloned the disk, stuck it in. This laptop had a Windows Vista 32 bit partition, a Windows 7 64 bit partition, and an extended partition with several Linux ext3 partitions. I had kept Vista around in case I needed to use something that didn't have 64 bit drivers (mostly just TI connect), but now that I had two copies of it (I haven't yet reformatted the old drive) I figured last weekend that I'd delete the Vista partition on the new drive and extend my 7 partition backwards to reclaim some space. I knew that some of the boot files were on the Vista partition, and sure enough it didn't boot after deleting that partition so after I deleted it I ran the Windows 7 system recovery to install the boot files to the 7 partition. Rebooted, so far so good. Then I tried to extend the partition leftward to fill in the space that the Vista partition used, but after rebooting I keep getting this error:

"autochk program not found, skipping autocheck"

After which it seems to bluescreen for a split second before rebooting. The files are more or less all there, from what I can tell. I've tried using system recovery from the 7 install disk to no avail. It just says no problems found. Any ideas what could be causing this problem? A lot of results online mention security software like Norton causing this problem, but I've never used any of the programs mentioned. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Worst case though, I'll jsut reclone the old hard drive and then copy over the documents I edited in the intermediate two weeks.
Answer
Answer

Hi Ibrahim Awwal,

You may try to run a check disk for the drives and let it repair them.

1.  Click Start, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd.exe in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue. 

2.  At a command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

Chkdsk /R X:

Note: In this command, X: is a placeholder that represents the drive letter of the volume that you want to check. 

3.  Press Y when you are prompted to check the disk the next time that the system restarts. 

4.  Close all applications, and then restart the computer.

Note: During the restart process, Windows checks the disk for errors, and then Windows starts. 

5.  After the computer restarts, repeat steps 1 through 4 for the other volume, and then rerun the backup operation. 

For more additional information follow the link given below.

Check a drive for errors

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Check-a-drive-for-errors

If that does not help you may check the link given below which talks about the rebuilding of the Boot files run the rebuildBCD command and check if that helps.

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Hope this information is helpful.

Amrita M

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

33 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 23, 2023 Views 113,719 Applies to: