Windows 7 error with dwm.exe/explorer.exe

Error 000000022 (not the correct amount of 0's) with dwm.exe/explorer.exe/Win7, what is this and most importantly how can I correct it?  The laptop will not boot up as a result.  If I boot into 'safe' mode and restore to an earlier date, it will reboot properly but only one time.  The next time try to boot the computer  I get the error again and have to do another restore. Nothing has been recently installed or changed that I know about.  The last thing that I did was access the laptop via our wireless internet using a Sony BlueRay player to play a video file on the TV.  All worked well with not problems. 

I have searched with Bing/Google for help but all of the dwm problems seem to refer to Vista.

Thank you for any help you can furnish. 

Bob

Question Info

Last updated January 7, 2019 Views 21,606 Applies to:
Answer

Hi,

·         Does this happen when you try open any application or program on your computer?

Method 1:

I would suggest you boot into safe mode and place the computer in clean boot and check which third party software/driver is causing the issue:

Boot into safe mode

Perform clean boot

Note: Place the computer back to normal startup by following the step 7 from the clean boot link.

Method 2:

Issues with dwm.exe might link to display. So, you may want to try the steps listed below:

Update the display adapter installed. Steps to update Display adapter:

a)      Click Start, type devmgmt.msc and press enter.

b)      Expand Display adapter and right click on the sub item and click update driver.

Link for reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.