Windows 7 - Don't See Password Box; Can't login

I m using Windows 7 Home Premium. This morning, I clicked on my user icon to login as usual. The screen flashed for a second and returned to the same page. What?! I tried other user accounts. The same thing happened. No password box showed up. I tried pressing repeatedly F8 on restart and choosing "safe mode". Didn't work.

Any experts can help me?

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to follow the methods and see if it helps:

Method 1:

Disconnect all the external devices (printers, scanner, USB (universal serial bus) drives, etc...)  Except mouse and the keyboard and then boot up.

If this corrects the issue then add the devices back one at a time until you discover the piece of hardware causing the issue.  Then get any updated drivers\software for the device.

Method 2:

You need to set your computer BIOS (Basic Input Output System) to boot from the DVD, you may follow the steps mentioned in the link below

Start your computer from a Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Start-your-computer-from-a-Windows-7-installation-disc-or-USB-flash-drive

(See the section “To change startup settings in your computer's BIOS”) 

Important: Modifying BIOS (Basic input output system)/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Note: - Ideally, if Windows is not configured to install updates it would not check for updates, If Applications installed on the computer is configured to install updates; it would try to update its data base.

Method 3:

Try system restore - Put the computer to an earlier point in time when the computer was working fine.

Access system recovery options; please see the steps mentioned in the link below

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

On the System Recovery Options menu, click system restore (second option) and follow the instructions to put the computer back to previous working state.

Note: When you use System Restore to restore the computer to a previous state, programs and updates that you have installed after that date are removed.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Sahil Bali

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have Windows 7 Professional and have also had this problem since this morning (just after Windows updates were installed). I have rebooted twice, and was eventually able to login by switching the monitor off and back on and then REALLY QUICKLY typing my password - the password box appears briefly after switching the monitor back on, then Windows returns to the screen that usually comes before the password box and just flashes wildly. Could it not be one of the updates that were installed?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had this problem as well on my laptop running 7 Professional.  I ran a system restore from a recovery point before I updated on the 11th, and now everything is working as normal again.  I don't think this is a problem to all Windows 7 editions, as I also updated a desktop that runs 7 Home Premium.  Obviously, I'm not a Microsoft rep though, so I don't know for sure, haha! 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes I also had this problem, and the same solution, revert to the restore point that Windows Update creates before the big update install.

In my case even boot to Dos Prompt failed, which if successful would allow you to uninstall the offending update.

The cause is KB3097877.

To uninstall from command prompt see here

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-windows-provide-a-way-to-uninstall-security/b616c77d-609c-4ca1-b6f9-5f14b661166eindows-provide-a-way-to-uninstall-security/b616c77d-609c-4ca1-b6f9-5f14b661166e

Otherwise do the restore to recovery point before update.

Once you do that, re-install all the now pending updates except KB3097877

If you have download and install updates configured or download but install later, you will have to hide KB3097877 because you have the problem version already downloaded.

Microsoft have re-issued the Update under the same number (go figure), so if it is hidden , check for updates will re-download the new fixed version and that is okay to install. In fact if you have automatic install configured it will do it for you.

This is not the only symptom of KB3097877. I have had to fix Outlook problems and Word crashing also.

In these cases login worked ok so just uninstalling the update via Control Panel > Programs and Features > View Installed Updates > Right Click (on KB3097877) >Uninstall.

Then you need to go to Windows Updates and hide it.

Hope this helps.

KB3097877

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I was able to fix my Win 7 logon problem by using Method 3.  I tried other suggested fixes to no avail.  After restoring Win 7 to a previous good configuration the system updated successfully.  I understand that Microsoft fixed the offending update KB3097877.  It was reissued and seems to be OK.

Bill Mc

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

still not working

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2023 Views 1,477 Applies to: