Windows 7 computer won't boot, BSOD and star up repair loop.

I have a old 2005 computer, I wanted to get the photos I had on it and maybe even use it, so I went on windows 10 and a couple days later, I changed back to windows 7. the computer is now in a start up repair loop so I did system restore and said it failed but I just left it there. the computer out of nothing booted back up, showed a bsod for half a second then restarted and shows that windows failed to boot up. the loop goes on forever and I dont know what to do. anything will help, thanks.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Since I cannot see it, you are going to have to describe the problem in much more detail.

For one, is this a laptop?  If it is, has the hard drive ever been replaced.  Laptop hard drives have a lif expectancy of about 5 years.  They cost only $50 to $100 and are easily replaced.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have a old 2005 computer, I wanted to get the photos I had on it and maybe even use it, so I went on windows 10 and a couple days later, I changed back to windows 7. the computer is now in a start up repair loop so I did system restore and said it failed but I just left it there. the computer out of nothing booted back up, showed a bsod for half a second then restarted and shows that windows failed to boot up. the loop goes on forever and I dont know what to do. anything will help, thanks.

1. Why couldn't you get the photos without "going to" Windows 10?

2. How did you change back to Windows 7?

3. If it was doing a startup repair, how did you attempt to do a system restore?

Bill Smithers - Microsoft MVP July 2013 - Dec 2020

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After you somehow changed back to Windows 7 did the system ever boot properly or has it never booted properly since you somehow changed back to Windows 7?

Do you or do you not have genuine Windows 7 installation media that matches the installed Edition (Home, Pro, etc.), Architecture (32 or 64-bit)?

If the system did once boot successfully after you somehow changed back to Window 7 but now it doesn't from the F8 Advanced Boot Options menu choose Last Known Good Configuration which is a copy of the profile save the last time Windows booted successfully:

To diagnose a BSoD it is important to know what the information on the BSoD is telling you.

Out of the box Windows is configured to automatically restart when it crashes and you can make an adjustment so the restart is not automatic giving you a chance to see what is on the BSoD.

If you have not made that adjustment to prevent Windows from automatically restarting you can still prevent Windows from automatically restarting by choosing from the F8 Advanced Boot Options menu this option:

Then if there is a BSoD you will be able to see the messages on the screen and report back what you see in these areas:

Even if you are never able to get back into Windows 7 it still may be possible to retrieve any personal files (documents, images, etc.) by booting the system on some other media like a Hirens' Boot CD - but let's see what your BSoD says first.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes this is a laptop. And no, the hard drive has not been replaced but I don't want to because all the photos to be gone, because I dont have them backed up. is there any way to copy them to another hard drive or anything? thanks.

M.D

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1. The computer will not boot up.

2. Windows give you a option to go back to windows 10 for 10 days after upgrading.

3. It said that it couldn't so I clicked "view advanced options for system recovery and support" and did it that way.

M.D

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After you somehow changed back to Windows 7 did the system ever boot properly or has it never booted properly since you somehow changed back to Windows 7?

Do you or do you not have genuine Windows 7 installation media that matches the installed Edition (Home, Pro, etc.), Architecture (32 or 64-bit)?

If the system did once boot successfully after you somehow changed back to Window 7 but now it doesn't from the F8 Advanced Boot Options menu choose Last Known Good Configuration which is a copy of the profile save the last time Windows booted successfully:

To diagnose a BSoD it is important to know what the information on the BSoD is telling you.

Out of the box Windows is configured to automatically restart when it crashes and you can make an adjustment so the restart is not automatic giving you a chance to see what is on the BSoD.

If you have not made that adjustment to prevent Windows from automatically restarting you can still prevent Windows from automatically restarting by choosing from the F8 Advanced Boot Options menu this option:

Then if there is a BSoD you will be able to see the messages on the screen and report back what you see in these areas:

Even if you are never able to get back into Windows 7 it still may be possible to retrieve any personal files (documents, images, etc.) by booting the system on some other media like a Hirens' Boot CD - but let's see what your BSoD says first.

No, the computer had not booted successfully even since going back to windows 7. and no, I have a genuine copy of windows 7 premium.

"the system did once boot successfully after you somehow changed back to Window 7 but now it doesn't from the F8 Advanced Boot Options menu choose Last Known Good Configuration which is a copy of the profile save the last time Windows booted successfully:" I have done this before. it just brought me back on startup repair. "To diagnose a BSoD it is important to know what the information on the BSoD is telling you.

If you have not made that adjustment to prevent Windows from automatically restarting you can still prevent Windows from automatically restarting by choosing from the F8 Advanced Boot Options menu this option:" im gonna try this right now, I will tell you the results in a bit.

M.D

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Even if your laptop cannot be made to reboot and you end up replacing the drive, it is highly likely you will be able to retrieve your data (photos).  No guarantee, but it almost always works.

You need to buy a device:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B016JTH8FA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1. Remove the hard drive from the computer

2. Plug the hard drive into the device

3. Plug the USB cable from the device into a working Windows computer.

4. It will take a while, but eventually the working computer will see the device with its attached hard drive as just another USB connected drive.

5. You now need to find your way to your User folders and your data

6. Copy your data off the old drive onto the other computer or your backup drive.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

little update: the bsod will not happen but it will say windows failed to start and also, for some reason even though I didn't turn off restart on failure, It won't restart automatically any more. I clicked "start up repair" and it couldn't fix it so I shut it down.

M.D

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I actually don't have a windows computer. I only have a Mac, and the broken Computer (The one we are trying to troubleshoot currently). Is there any other way to do it with a Mac Too? I have a Type - C cable to usb. will it still work? do I have to buy another adapter too? or will it just not work in general. I could use a VM/Boot Camp if I need too.

M.D

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I do not know about Mac's.  I am not certain the file protocols are compatible.  I would not be surprised either way.  Surely, you can find a friend with a Windows PC to do this with.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 19, 2021 Views 213 Applies to: