Windows 7 boots slowly with black screen after "Welcome"

I'm sure this isn't a new problem or new post asking about that. But I still make this post because every solution I tryed didn't work.

Symptom: My Windows 7 64bit boots slowly with a long Welcome screen, then a black screen with cursor for about 5 - 10 seconds and the wallpaper with icons appears.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZP26pn9GAQ

System infomation: Asus K55A

Intel 3230 2.60 Ghz, Intel HD 4000

Not many softwares, Office 2010 is the biggest software I installed

Used solutions:

- Remove start-up programs

- Update drivers and windows system, BIOS

- Run cleaning tool for partition C

- Run defragment tool

To make sure this is a software problem related to system, I install another Windows 7 on the same laptop, different partition. It has many programs (Photoshop, VirtualBox) taking more space than the first Windows 7 . This Windows boots much faster without disabling startup programs and services. Also It hasn't been updated regularly, even drivers. This windows just has drivers from 2014.

It seems silly, but I have to say that can be explained. To check what happens in booting these two windows, I use boot log.

Bootlog in my first Windows 7 (Slow boot), 461 kb txt file, in the seconds Windows (Fast boot), 18.3 kb

In bootlog of the slow booting OS, many lines say "Did not load driver....", in fast-booting os, just a little

So now I think the root cause is drivers which are loaded in booting proccess. And notice that, I have re-installed, updated the drivers on slow-booting Windows many times, but in fast-booting one, I just installed one time the old version. So maybe many drivers files are exccess or causing something wrong or anything i dont know. But now I think it's definitely because many "did not load driver...."

Boot log on slow booting OS: ntbtlog (slow boot)

Drivers list on slow booting OS: Drivers list (slow boot)

Boot log on fast booting OS: ntbtlog (fast boot)

So what can I do if I dont want to do a clean installation Windows 7?

I'm a technical user, so you can answer with advanced techniques. I just want to do anything if possible to optimize OS without re-installing it. Thanks for your comments!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Its just one diagnostic, but it could tell you the cause, or at least eliminate one possibility.

Download and run your hard drive manufacturer's drive tester software tool.  This tool tests the hardware of the drive, which is different from the integrity of the data on the drive that chkdsk does.

If you will provide your hard drive model number, I can provide a link to the appropriate software.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I don't really understand "run hard drive's tester".

Asus don't have tool like this or at least for my model. Or you mean the manufacture of hard drive : WDC WD5000LPVT-80G33 SCSI Disk Device ? I dont think they have that tool

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The tool I am talking about is provided by the manufacturer of the hard drive, which is Western Digital.

Go to this place to download the tool

http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en

It is called Data Lifeguard.  Run all three tests:  SMART, Short and Long.

If any one of those tests fails, it means your hard drive is failing and it should be replaced immediately before you lose your data.

FYI, this is a very good diagnostic tool.  It is provided by WDC to enable people to test their drives when under warranty to prove a warranty claim.  It is also a very useful tool to determine if you need to replace, regardless of warranty coverage.   I have used this many times to discover an underlying problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I dont see Short and long settings, but SMART passed.

As I said, there might be no hardware problem, because the same windows 7 homepremium, in the same laptop, still boots fast. I think the problem is in the boot log file.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Once the program has been launched, RIGHT-click on the disk drive and choose Run diagnostics.  Then Quick and Extended tests

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, my drive passed all testing

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Good.  That means you can move forward with the knowledge your drive is still good.

If this was my system:

1. I would be most suspicious of malware, run ADWcleaner and have a good antivirus program https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

2. I would remove all programs that claim to make your computer run better, safer or faster.  The vast majority of these are in fact malware

3. I would remove any and all "protection" software on your computer and leave just one high quality Antivirus product -- More below...

4. I would be using my hard drive manufacturer's drive testing program to ensure it is not failing

5. I would want to be certain that none of the hard drives are more than 75% in use

6. I would check my memory using Windows 7's memory checker

7. I would install and run Autoruns to check to see what is in the start up process

8. AND, most importantly, take a close look at the applications installed.  Some of them are notorious resource pigs that insist on running on startup.

9. I would remove programs/applications from startup unless I actually need them to startup

Common miscreants that cause slow start ups:

• Garmin Express

• Roxio anything

• uTorrent

• Frostwire

• Trusteer

• Dropbox

• Onenote

• Evernote

• All Apple products

• Quickbooks

• Spotify

• Pandora

• AOL desktop

• Some games, particularly online ones

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your very detail suggestions. Most of your suggestions I have tried. However, it seems no different :(

Waiting for another idea.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

All right! After some days now I decide to finish this problem. I tried to use all suggestions I got, like remove startup programs, scan for virus and malware, run defragment for disk, the problem hadn't gone. I just realized that experts said people shouldn't use registry cleanup tools because deleting some registry values can cause serious problems that can only be fixed by re-install the OS. Some months ago, I used to run those tools. The OS that I don't use registry cleanup tool still works well. 

So, for people who have this kind of problem, don't use any registry cleanup tools if you aren't sure what they delete. Install a fresh Windows with Easy Transfer is a good way to keep your data and make your OS fast again!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Tung for that feedback. It is rare for people to admit they caused the problem.  You are absolutely correct.  Fooling with the registry is the kind of thing that you want to leave to others.  Frankly, I myself am fairly expert and I have never used registry cleanup tools.

Good solution to rebuild your system.  Would you like some detailed instructions on how to do that successfully?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 12, 2022 Views 3,533 Applies to: