Question

Q: Windows 7 Backup suddenly broken This thread is locked from future replies

I have been using Windows Backup on my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit system successfully for over a year. Suddenly, it has stopped working. When I click the "Backup up now" button, the cursor spins for a second or two, but then nothing happens at all - not even an error message. Just nothing.

I can successfully restore files from existing backups, and I can successfully create new System Images. I just can't do a regular backup.

I have searched the forums, and though there are lots of issues with backup being reported, mine seems to be something different.

Any ideas?

TIA...

Steve

Answer

A:

How to reset the Backup and Restore’s Action Center:

1) Start by creating a ‘System Restore’ point before you make any registry changes.

2) Updating the registry:
The following registry changes need to be made to the action center status DWORD values.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsBackup\Status\ActionCenterState  DWORD=0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsBackup\ValidConfig  DWORD=0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsBackup\ValidSystemImageBackup  DWORD=0

J W Stuart: http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 490 Last updated: December 23, 2017 Applies to: