Windows 7 automatically dims my laptop monitor

Since I upgraded my Toshiba laptop to windows 7, my display has been dimming automatically on me and it drives me crazy.

I have searched these forums, followed the advice listed below and changed the dim display settings in my power plan, I have even created custom power plans and turned dim display to never in every power plan I have to no avail.  How else can I stop the display form dimming?

Please note, I followed the advice copied below from another post and it had no effect.

Please see the troubleshooting steps below that would help resolve your issue.

1.     Open Power Options by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel , clicking System and Security , and then clicking Power Options .

2.     Under the current power plan, click Change plan settings .

3.     On the Change settings for the plan page, click on Change advanced power settings.

4.     In Advanced settings, scroll down the menu, click on Display and see if you find the dim feature listed here.

You may change the settings for Auto dim if present under display, accordingly to as you want.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

I would suggest you to update the latest drivers for your graphic card and check if it helps.

Try running power troubleshooter and check if it helps, here are the steps:

Open the Power troubleshooter by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Under System and Security, click Improve power usage. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Power-troubleshooter

Also try following below steps and check if it helps:

1.      Open Power Options by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Power Options.

2.      In the left pane, click Adjust display brightness.

The Adust display brightness setting is not available if your computer does not support display brightness adjustment.

3.      On the Change settings for the plan page, next to Adjust display brightness, move the slider under On battery or Plugged in (or both) to the brightness level that you want, and then click Save changes.

Also try calibrating your display and check if it helps, here is the link:

Calibrate your display
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Calibrate-your-display

Please respond back with the status of the issue and let us know if you have any issues.

Azam – Microsoft Support.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 20, 2023 Views 43,124 Applies to: