Windows 7 and install/recognize printer HP LaserJet P2015 problems Error -USB Device Not Recognized-One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.

original title:Windows 7 and install/recognize printer HP LaserJet P2015 problems.......

I have a dell  inspiron which originally had windows Vista and I changed to windows7.  I acquired a LaserJet printer from where I work, a HP LaserJet P2015 and when I plug into usb drive, it says ( USB Device Not Recognized-One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.

How and what do I do to get this printer going or to get computer to recognize it.  Install cd wont work and I have looked online and downloaded drivers but still comes up the same thing.

Answer
Answer

Go to Dell site and upgrade/install the win7 specific drivers available for your model (Chipset being the main one)

The laserjet drivers are built into win7, HP doesnt have a win7 full feature software, the HP install wont work as its not designed for win7

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?&objectID=c02536202

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi   LOliver,

Method 1: Run the hardware and devices troubleshooter and check if that makes any difference.

Open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Hardware-and-Devices-troubleshooter

Method 2: Disconnect all the USB (Universal Serial Bus) devices connected to the computer (except your mouse and the keyboard). Connect the printer and the check to see if the issue persists.

Method 3: Connect the printer to a different USB port and then check.

Method 4:Reinstall USB (Universal Serial Bus) controllers.

First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

a)      Click "Start", type in Device Manager the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

b)      In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

c)      Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and windows will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

HP Printer drivers- Ensure that you download the correct driver package for your device model.

Thanks and Regards

Ajay K

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 12, 2023 Views 12,517 Applies to: