Windows 7 (64 bit) bootmanager fails with Status: 0xc0000225

When trying to boot I get the "Starting Windows" but the PC hangs then - no HDD activity, power off is the only course.
In Safe Mode the PC hangs after loading CLASSPNP.SYS

Attempted repair fails with Status: 0xc0000225 "boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible"

I tried booting off the installation DVD but after loading Windows files it hangs at the "Starting Windows" stage as above.

I am able to boot off a Memtest CD (that shows no errors), also off a general diagnostic (Ultra-X QuickTech Pro) CD that shows no errors in any component.
However, trying to boot off a Knoppix CD hangs leaving a blank screen.  I have restored the HDD from a backup image. The PC comprises mobo, HDD, optical, PSU only and all cables look good and tight.

Having read other posts with the same problem I looked through the BIOS but all seems good there; I did set to default values but problem persists.

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2019 Views 121,766 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Thanks. 

I fixed my problem and wish to share the solution. 

By entering safe mode, and selecting the option when each boot step was tracked, I got to the step when the boot process ceased.  It was indeed the anti-virus program. 

I was able to roll back to the last good working OS and re boot. 

I then uninstalled the anitvirus program that caused the conflict.   My system has boot up normally afterwards.  I later installed another anti virus program.   System continued to work well ever since.

Hope this is useful to others.

gthwoo

66 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.