Windows 11 won’t work with my WD External Hard Drive

I cannot load the WD My Passport software on my Surface 8 computer running Windows 11. Is Windows 11 NOT compatible with the WD external hard drives?

Moderator note: Moved from Windows 11/Recovery and backup

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi ,
Sabya here, Independent Windows Adviser. Hope you are doing well.

If you plug the hard drive in does it show up in the file explorer?
If it is not getting detected in file explorer please let me know.

The software has still not been updated by WD for Windows 11 and you can check it below
https://support-en.wd.com/app/products/product-...

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before downloading and installing it.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It’s baffling, the WD My Passport Ultra DOES show up in the file explorer as drive D, and I can see some files in there, including the one to load the WD software. However, the process just ceases when I try to load the software, no error message or anything. I also went to WD website and tried to load the software from their portal as an alternative; I was able to download the file, but again, it just stalled and would not load/execute. I think I got an error message from that; I can go back and recreate if it would be enlightening? Thanks for your input. :) I’m beginning to regret the Windows 11 decision already, as I’ve seen many comments that it’s not compatible with a lot of things.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,
The drive is compatible, and you should be able to use it from the file explorer. However they would need an update for the application. Have a check with them on any alternatives to use the software. Apart from the software there should be no issues.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I purchased a new laptop with Windows 11. I had files transferred over to the new laptop.

WD Passport worked on the old laptop. WD Smartware will open but not allow for Backup function to proceed on the new laptop with Windows 11.

Is Windows Firewall blocking the software from performing? I added WD Smartware.exe software to list of applications to allow through the Firewall.

I purchased a Samsung SSD T7 external drive recently. This drive also will not backup my data. It is blocked. It is clearly not just a WD Smartware problem.

I need a solution.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this same issue. I have WD My Book 6TB drive. Was working prior to upgrading my PC to the latest Win11 release. I hear a tone when I connect the drive which tells me Windows recognizes the connection, but it does not show up in File Explorer. This exact configuration was working previous to my Windows update.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

me as well. Made all the power changes checked drivers it keeps dropping my 5TB MyBook that I use for backup.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I bought a WD Black 5TB Elements SE to use for a backup drive for Windows 11 Professional.

Immediately the system claimed that the drive was "Corrupted" something it does with any external storage device.

I had a thumb drive, and it claimed it was corrupted, and requested to 'repair' the drive, so I clicked 'yes', but the very next time I wanted to plug it in and use it, I got the same error message again. Every single time it repairs but flags it the next time as corrupt. Win10 & 11 is horrible.

PLus, I had created a backup on another disc and it keeps trying to default to the old one on a 2TB chinese drive.

i can't get it to forget about that one and start a new backup fresh on the WD 5TB, because of the 'corrupted' error.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows 11 changed some driver requirements. WD appears to be a company that prefers you to buy new hardware rather than updating its drivers. I also had this problem with the WD MyBookDuo a NAS server I use to back up all the house devices. THe software that worked well for this no longer works on Windows 11. This is poor business practice.

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Similar experience with WD. My WD My Book Essential 2TB worked fine for years on Windows 10 Pro. However, on Windows 11 Pro I don't get any indication that is was even plugged in to a USB port that does work. The response I got from WD was it is no longer supported. That was it! I downloaded a driver and management software from WD for this unit but it was no help as it still couldn't detect a WD device. Still no indication that it was plugged into a USB port. I turned USB power on in power management. No help either. So, I'll take the WD unit to the shop and drill a hole in it.

My Amazon Basics 3TB external drive works fine on both Windows 10 and Windows 11. Probably not quite as old as the WD unit but, as I recall, less expensive.

My backup going forward is a two-drive docking station. It took around 5 minutes to see the hard drive I put in it. Once found it seems to work without delay. Patience paid off here. These docking stations require careful use and so probably aren't recommended for novices. The drive is open to static shock and need to be closed out before removing. My opinion perhaps.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

same here

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2024 Views 20,479 Applies to: