Windows 11 Won't Download

After running the health check app and determining that my Windows 10 Dell Inspirion notebook was compatable, I attempted to download the Windows 11 update. The first time I attempted the update, the BIOS was uipdated, along with one other step I did not take note of. However Windows 11 never installed. The PC is still running Windows 10 even after a couple of reboots.

When I attempt to download the Windows 11 upgrade, the system says it attempted the upgrade but it didn't work. There is an error code that is 0x80240438. My understanding is that this is related to problems in the Microsoft store. I've reset the Store app, but still no luck.

There are about 18 apps that are loaded up in Windows Store for updates. They keep trying and failing without provide a reason. Windows Store is certainly not ready for prime time because it creates far more problems than it solves.

Any suggestions for getting Windows 11 to download?

Thank you in advance.

Dear DanielTaylor814,

I'm Dyari. Thanks for reaching out. I will be happy to assist you in this regard.

To troubleshoot the issue, kindly follow the steps below:

1-Run update troubleshooter/
Select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Additional troubleshooters. Next, under Get up and running, select Windows Update > Run the troubleshooter.

2-Reset Windows update components:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/24742-reset...

3-Try to upgrade to Windows 11 again. If it fails, try to perform upgrade with Windows 11 installation assistant:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

Please let me know if you need further assistance and keep me updated.

Stay safe.
Sincerely,

Dyari Barham
Independent Advisor & Microsoft Community Member

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

If your PC doesn’t meet any of the following specifications, you may be unable to Install Windows 11 on PC.

The main hardware requirements for Windows 11 include:

• A dual-core processor with a clock speed of at least 1GHz or higher. It also needs to be 64-bit compatible, and support Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 2.0 or greater. (This is any CPU from Intel eighth-generation onwards, and AMD Ryzen 2000-series (non-APU) processors and newer.

• 4GB or more of RAM.

• At least 64GB of storage space is available.

• A graphics card or chip that is compatible with DirectX12 or later.

• A Secure Boot Capable UEFI.

• At least a nine-inch display with support for 720p resolution and 8-bit color.

• An active internet connection.

If you tick all the boxes for minimum hardware requirements but still having issues installing Windows 11, there may be other underlying issues – try the other suggestions below.

2] Enable Secure Boot

If Secure Boot is disabled in your UEFI, you will be prevented from installing Windows 11 on your device. In this case, make sure is enabled and then try the installation again.

3] Enable TPM 2.0

The TPM (Trusted Platform Module) is another requirement to install Windows 11. Here, you need to make sure TPM is enabled on your device. You may also although Windows 11 setup will warn users against installation on unsupported hardware.

4] Create new installation media

Besides not meeting the minimum hardware requirements to install Windows 11, if you have corrupt installation media, you will be unable to successfully complete Windows 11 installation on your device. In this case, to rule out this possibility, simply create a fresh new Windows 11 installation media and then retry the install procedure.

5] Install Windows 11 on a new/different drive

If you’ve been trying to upgrade your Windows 10 installation, and have been unsuccessful, you can try clean installing Windows 11 from scratch on a new or different drive or alternatively, completely format your existing drive first before running the install operation.

6] Install Windows 11 on unsupported hardware

Microsoft officially allowed unsupported PC to Install Windows 11, but not Upgrade. We have published a guide on how to install Windows 11 on unsupported hardware that is sure to help you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue. MS Surface Laptop Go, 9 months old. Up date Settings said Win 11 was ready for download. Went to download - after a while it said something about Win 10 needing updating first. Did that, went to download Win 11 again - said download in progress, left the machine to do its thing, came back an hour later and nothing. No Win 11 installed, no download file to be found, no error or other messages. What a waste of time.

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Its time to start using Google DOCs people!!!

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 11, 2024 Views 33,767 Applies to: