Windows 11 WinForms BSOD kernel crash - UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

In 2017 I had described an issue in Windows 10 where "the kernel started crashing with BSOD very consistently after performing certain UI actions in our Eclipse SWT desktop application". This issue was fixed in KB4022716 which "Addressed issue (Error 0x7F) with Windows Forms (WinForms) that causes the system to crash after upgrading to the Creators Update." For reference, this was my original post: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-creators-update-bsod-kernel-crash/b8ec01a2-4086-4048-8557-417eb79ce813

Now, the exact same issue is happening again in Windows 11. I have reproduced it in Windows 11 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3447) with the "2024-03" cumulative update. I also reproduced it again today after installing the "2024-04" cumulative update. I have not yet tried rolling back Windows updates to see when the regression was re-introduced.

Is Microsoft aware of this issue? Is this planned to be fixed (again) soon? Is there any other detail or workarounds anyone can share?

|
Answer
Answer

KB5036980 was released today, and I can also verify that the update fixes the issue.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2024 Views 574 Applies to: