Windows 11 username is firstinitiallastname, user folder name is firstnameunderscore. When using the %username% variable it searches for firstinitiallastname.

I was trying to navigate to my C:\Users\%username%\AppData\LocalLow folder by typing in the full path including the variable, but it pops up an error stating:

File Explorer

Windows can't find 'C:Users\firstinitiallastname\AppData\LocalLow' Check the spelling and try again.

It should be trying to reach 'C:Users\firstnameunderscore\AppData\LocalLow' instead. I have no idea how to fix this issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hello, this is Emily.

Have you ever tried manually changing your user profile name via netplwiz prior to this?

Before I can get to the solution, I would need to gathe some information please.

When you put this string into the search before you hit enter key, C:\Users\%username%\AppData\LocalLow What path does it show, in another word, what username it shows on the pop up.

Can you please type cmd in the search on the taskbar and press enter, what does the prompt shows.

Can you please hold down windows + R keys, type in netplwiz and press enter, what username is shown there?

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

I think I solved my issue. I believe I should have been using %userprofile% for a file path instead of %username%. This change helped me get to the right path.

Sorry for the trouble.

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No apologize needed. I am glad you realized the issue. Indeed, username and userprofile name can be different, especially if you have recently changed user name via netplwiz, because that doesn't change user profile name unless you reset your user profile.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 27, 2024 Views 25 Applies to: