Windows 11 Update 22H2 Failure and Problems

Hi.

(My system details are below.)

My Windows 11 Taskbar reports that I need to update BUT I did already try that. The Windows Update page shows "You're Up to Date". However, below that, the same page also says "Windows 11, version 22H2 is available. We couldn't install this update, but you can try again (0xc1900106)".
So clearly the Taskbar and the top of the Windows Update page conflict with the Download & Install section of the Windows Update page. But that's the good news!

I did try to update to 22H2 2 days ago. immediately following that attempt, my laptop ran like a dog. I literally had to wait minutes for any action I attempted, such as opening a window or clicking on a link. Booting took nearly 30 minutes (I tried 3 times). I checked for viruses using Avast, Microsoft Defender and Microsoft's Windows' system (virus) checker and no threats were found. I eventually managed to open the Task Manager (I fought for nearly an hour to achieve that). The disk was reported as 100% in use. I then spent more than an hour trying to access the Command Prompt in Administrator Mode, an almost impossible task. When I finally managed, I STOPPED SYSMAIN (Superfetch) and set it to DISABLED. I also (next) reindexed, though I normally have reindexing set as PAUSED. It was only after reindexing started that the Disk Usage lowered to about 70-80% but it was still changing and often returning to 100% before dropping back again. Quite a while after indexing ended, the disk usage has dropped to just about 20% but memory usage is consistently at about 90%.

Thus, I'm running without the help of SYSMAIN (superfetch) and the system still seems slower than before, Windows is reporting conflicting information that I AM up to date but FAiLED to update to 21H2. I don't know how to remove the conflict or how to achieve the update because several attempts have failed (I have a stable internet connection).

I'm running the following:
Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎16/‎12/‎2021
OS build 22000.1042
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.1042.0

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz 1.80 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.87 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Advice would be appreciated.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Paul. I'm Greg, 10 years awarded Windows MVP, here to help you.

Try these fixes for Windows 11 22H2 failure:

https://pureinfotech.com/avoid-problems-install...

https://windows101tricks.com/windows-11-upgrade...

https://www.windowscentral.com/software-apps/wi...

https://www.minitool.com/news/windows-11-22h2-i...

https://www.windowslatest.com/2022/09/22/window...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz15c2uI-0A

Report back results for each step so I know what else to suggest.

Feel free to ask back any questions. Based on the results you post back I may have other suggestions if necessary.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Greg

Many thanks for the reply. Sorry but I only just saw it. However, I am going to follow your suggestions and will reply (probably by editing this response, if possible) with any outcomes.

The help is much appreciated.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Greg.
I am replying to you because the problems I am having began as above so it seems sensible to update and follow from there. SO. this is what has happened...

1. My HP Laptop advised me of a Windows 11 update 22H2 awaiting installation but the install failed (as already described).
2. I read your suggestions. It seemed the best option was to not install any update until required to, so I waited.
3. After a few days, the laptop blue-screened (first tie ever for this laptop). The only solution that I could find was to reinstall Widows in Repair Mode, so I did that. I retained my own files.
4. After a couple of days, the laptop ground to a halt. Problem was 100% disk usage. The internet suggested various solutions: I disabled sysmain, I disabled search indexing, I disabled all the apps in Startup that were unnecessary (apps I'd installed, if they appeared in Startup). The laptop worked fine.
5. After a few days, the laptop would not boot. It displayed the HP logo but never went beyond that in the boot cycle, I entered repair ode (switched off 3 times). I tried to automatically repair startup but the repair made tried and said it couldn't repair it.
6. I restarted repair mode and selected to revert to a previous working restore point. The restore point successfully installed. Reboot worked and I had a visible desktop. It then took a long time for everything to continue loading. I opened the Task manager. there was 100% CPU usage. I waited and after about 5-10 minutes CPU usage returned normal but Disk Usage hit 100% and stayed there. It never lowered. I tried opening the Start menu so as to disable sysmain and follow other suggestions to fi the disk usage. However, while the start window would open, the 100% disk usage prevented me typing anything into the start window. I tried closing processes in the Task Manager but none would close, the close button was just ignored. I went back into repair mode. I selected Safe Boot. It took a long time to get to it but when it eventually tied to safe boot (after I clicked on the option number for Safe Boot), the laptop reported that a problem had been encountered and it would have to restart automatically.
7. The laptop restarted in Automatic Repair ode and I' staring at a window that has the HP logo and the words "Automatic Repair Mode" but it's been stuck on that for at least 20 minutes and obviously isn't getting anywhere.
8. Additional attempts at Safe Boot simply cause a failure and forced Restart. The automatic repair remains accessible.
9. Startup Repair cannot repair the system.
10. It won't Reset either from the internet or locally.

I have no idea what ore I can try short of reinstalling Windows AGAIN (requiring me to reinstall all y apps again!!!)

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue after installing 22h2 last night.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also was unable to update to update the 22H2 on my HP Spectre 360 from Windows 11. Reading posts on HP forums, it seems others are having similar issues attempting unsuccessfully to update.

In my case, it corrupted my SSD. All I had left was the X: drive and unable to boot. Ended up taking to a computer service shop where they also were unable to recover or access anything on the drive. Had to replace the drive and reinstalling windows/apps.

Not sure where issue is - HP or Microsoft but definitely not looking to try this update anytime soon. I have never had issues with updates in the past but this one is one to stay away from.

Wish I could get rid of the constant update reminder icon in the tray because this isn't going to happen.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Has anyone received an answer on what is wrong with 22H2 update? 4 computers, each tried to download 3+ times...... it never happens.

Thx.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same problem on my Pavilion laptop.

As it was still under warranty (only 6 months old) and after 2 weeks working with tech support, I had to send it back to HP who formatted the hard drive and reinstalled Windows.

Now, after a couple of weeks, the notification to install 22H2 reappeared. I thought that was what HP had installed since the notification wasn't there when I first got it back.

I like to keep the system up to date but am extremely hesitant about installing 22H2.

If anyone has had this problem and then been able to successfully install 22H2 on a subsequent attempt, it would be good to hear your experience.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

same thing here. says i'm totally up to date but that windows 11 version 22H2 is available. now, when i did try to update to this new version a month ago, it crashed my computer and wouldn't start at all and i was panicked. somehow i did a forced hard restart back to the the old version of windows 11 and got my old computer back and its working fine. this is why i don't like doing upgrades to operating systems (OS) and instead prefer to just buy a new computer with the latest thing on it and just use that. and your experience confirms my better judgment to not try to ever install the OS update(s) again. i suggest somehow force hard restarting your computer back to the old version of windows 11. google it as to how. sorry that so many are experiencing all this and good luck!

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Appreciate the feedback however I’ve been upgrading OS’s for at least 30 years on various computers since days of DOS including mainframes.

I cannot remember an OS that crashed a HD or SSD during upgrade.

There is something wrong here - just wish someone from HP or Microsoft would take the issue serious enough to develop a fix. MS states they are not aware of any issues but obviously they don’t pay attention to the many posts of people crashing machines trying to apply this update…..

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You've been lucky.

I did this for 45 years before retiring. never a problem on the mainframes and large-scale servers.

For PC's we had enough problems with OS upgrades that it was decided to set up a dedicated lab to test just OS upgrades before rolling them out to the application test lab.

We were big enough to get Microsoft to work with us when we reported problems, but they don't seem to pay much attention to individual issues like this.

I actually think this problem is related to Bit Locker on the drive. Disabling this in the BIOS let me get further into the recovery process by entering the key manually, but still never far enough to get the machine back.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 4, 2024 Views 7,317 Applies to: