Windows 11 - taskbar gone, settings app gone, remote support.

Hi all,

I have a user who told me that the taskbar had randomly vanished on their windows 11 PC, this user is located geographically far so the only way I could troubleshoot is via remote desktop.

I tried all the usual stuff; restart, restart explorer from task manager, run DSIM, run sfc, ect.

None of these showed any signs of working. These issue complicates by the fact that I cant open Windows Settings to perform updates (or do anything), when entering ms-settings from Win+R I get the error that windows cannot find "ms-settings". I have scoured far and wide on Microsoft official forums, MVP forums, and really just anywhere that seems like it could have a fix, I've tried almost everything presented to me with no luck. I've even tried using system restore to bring the PC to a state well before the user reported the issue, but It's not fixed. I understand that re-installing windows would probably be the next logical step, however this user is not very technical so walking them through the process would be difficult, and again its almost impossible to get to them as they live very far away. Although possible over the phone, any help or solutions that can be done with RD would be greatly appreciated.

Additional context:

The taskbar does not appear at all - not even the shape, just nothing.

When hovering the mouse over where the taskbar should be, a loading ring appears.

When the user boots the PC in safe mode, the taskbar appears as it should.

When trying to view installed updates via control panel, the page gets stuck - most likely due to settings not working but still strange.

|
HI, I am Dave, I will help you with this.

The best option would be to get the user to perform an in-place repair with the Windows 11 ISO to stabilize the Windows installation.

This is then not like re-installing Windows, it is just like an update and the users files, settings and installed software will not be affected.

Click this link:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...
to download the Windows 11 ISO

When the ISO file completes downloading

Disconnect from the Internet

Disconnect all external devices with the exception of a mouse or keyboard.

Temporarily disable any 3rd party Anti-virus you may have installed

Then, in Windows File Explorer, double click the ISO and then run Setup.exe and select the Install option.

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply,

I have followed your instructions and the issues still remain.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If that process did not resolve the problems, then the only remaining option will be to reset Windows, you will be able to keep your files, but your software will nee to be re-installed after resetting Windows.

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 5, 2024 Views 22 Applies to: