Windows 11 Start menu reset to default for no reason

After a recent boot up, I clicked on start, and my whole start menu has returned to its default state. As in when you first install Windows 11, shows Tiktok, Instagram, Facebook, etc. and I have none of these installed. All my custom shortcuts, folders, everything's gone. All I did was shutdown my PC and restart. I changed nothing, installed no new software or drivers, this is completely random. How do I get my start menu back?

Answer
Answer

Hi Renfek,

You can backup your customized Start menu layout to a REG file. In case the issue arises again at some time, you can restore the settings easily.

From CMD Prompt, run:

reg.exe export "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CloudStore\Store\Cache\DefaultAccount" "%userprofile%\desktop\StartLayout.reg" /y

Edit:

I just now noticed you're using Windows 11. In that case, run this command as well.

copy "%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\start.bin" "%userprofile%\desktop\"

Store the two files "StartLayout.reg" and "start.bin" in a safe location.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Ramesh, Windows Shell MVP 2003-2012.
If this post resolves your issue, pls mark it as an Answer.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 4, 2024 Views 3,353 Applies to: