Windows 11: SSD Storage Almost Full Despite Not Having Many Files

I have an Windows 11 HP laptop with a 256gb SSD, and it's taken me a while to notice this as an actual problem, but the storage space is always absurdly low. I regularly delete and move games and apps I'm not using, even if they aren't large; I clean out my downloads folder; I religiously empty my recycle bin; and I've made sure to run virus scans lately to see if that might be the issue. I have at no point more than 40gb (a very very generous estimate since I refuse to add up all the tiny little apps Windows has) of applications, and while I do download documents for school, they stay in downloads and get deleted every couple months. I am constantly fighting tooth and nail for more than 10gb of space. Frequently, I only have 5gb, and it's a very victorious day when I find myself with 20gb to spare. It appears, although I haven't tested it, that my space decreases quite fast even after a large and thorough cleanup; this may just be my own adding things though.

According to my computer, most of my storage is in apps (granted, this is from the Settings app and I don't know how much I trust it) and I can't think of anything that would lead to this except possibly old game data; but I have doubts that even that would take up more than a few gb. Currently, I have the Sims 4 (20ish gb I believe), a couple dozen PDFs and Excel sheets for school, and several small Steam games (they add up to less than 5gb, I believe) installed.

Summary: My storage (256gb, closer to 231 of actual space) is constantly full to only 20gb or (usually) less of free space. I have tried disk cleanup, Storage Sense, virus scans; I don't keep more than one or two large apps on my device at a time and clear out downloads and my recycle bin somewhat and very often respectively.

Answer
Answer
Hi, I am Dave, I will help you with this.

Click the link below to download a small free utility named Treesize.

https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free

Very Important - to run TreeSize, you must right click its icon and choose Run as Administrator.

Please provide a screenshot of your C drive in that TreeSize utility, so I can see your hard drive and work out where that space is being used and if there is an underlying problem.

Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2024 Views 484 Applies to: