windows 11 primary DNS suffix changing from what is set

I am creating OS image for Windows 11.

Example scenario:

domain = mydomain.com

primary DSN suffix = vdi.mydomain.net

I have set the primary DNS suffix to vdi.mydomain.net, I have ensured the check box to change the domain suffix when joined to a new domain is not checked. I have also set the GPO for the machine to have the vdi.mydomain.net as the configured suffix.

The problem I have is when the machine gets joined to mydomain.com the DNS suffix is changing to computername.mydomain.com in the system > Advanced system Settings > computer name tab > change > more option

I should add that I can ping computername.vdi.mydomain.net with no issues, but it is changing it on the computer itself.

Need to figure out why it is changing even though all the settings are there to make sure it does not change. this is causing an issue on some software not seeing the computer correctly as it is seeing it as computername.mydomain.com instead of computername.vdi.mydomain.net

Any suggestions and help is appreciated.

***Moved from Windows / Windows 11 / Settings***

|
Answer
Answer

Hello Chris_Schneider,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community forum.

I have set the primary DNS suffix to vdi.mydomain.net, I have ensured the check box to change the domain suffix when joined to a new domain is not checked.

A: I understand you set it on this Win 11 machine, am I right? If so, where do you set the primary DNS suffix to vdi.mydomain.net?

Please provide the screenshot.

I have also set the GPO for the machine to have the vdi.mydomain.net as the configured suffix.
A: Where did you also set the GPO for the machine to have the vdi.mydomain.net as the configured suffix (on Domain Controller or on this Win 11 machine)? What specific GPO setting do you configure?

Please provide the screenshot.

If you set the GPO for the machine to have the vdi.mydomain.net as the configured suffix on Win 11 machine, you can try to set the GPO for the machine to have the vdi.mydomain.net as the configured suffix on Domain Controller and apply this setting to this machine.

Maybe you can try to change DNS suffixes order in Advanced TCP/IP Settings below. Then check if it helps.

I hope the information above is helpful.

If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Daisy Zhou

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 7, 2024 Views 117 Applies to: