Windows 11 only has 45% of random write speed in Nvme SSD

As you see above, the other performance is about the same, but in RND 4K Q32 T16 the speed has dropped significantly. I know that because the two software versions are different and the condition of the computer is different, it is normal for the performance to fluctuate, but this performance also dropped too much, and the performance remained stable low after many tests at different times.

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi MJ,
I am Sumit here to assist you with this question.

I encourage you to add a response in the first reply below where a Microsoft Engineer asked for more details regarding a similar issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows11/comments/piz...

Disclaimer:
The link included is a non-Microsoft website that would provide accurate and safe information. Watch out for ads on the site which are frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). There is no need to buy paid products to fix your computers as they do more harm than good sometimes.

Edit:

Also make sure you have installed the optional update:

November 22, 2021—KB5007262 (OS Build 22000.348) Preview (microsoft.com)

• Addresses an issue that affects the performance of all disks (NVMe, SSD, hardisk) on Windows 11 by performing unnecessary actions each time a write operation occurs. This issue occurs only when the NTFS USN journal is enabled.  Note, the USN journal is always enabled on the C: disk.

Sumit
Available 6 PM - 8 AM PST

It is always good to include your PC Specs, make and model in the question

Never Call the Phone numbers received in Emails from the Microsoft Community

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

For me random write iops are only 12% of what they should be and random read iops are only 65%. This is on an AMD Threadripper system with Phison based drives. Intel Optane 905p is unaffected and I assume its due to the fact it uses its own nvme driver.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a similar issue with my Samsung 980 Pro, as you can see in the image, read/write sequential is pretty much normal/same as W10, and even random reads, but random writes IOPS tanked to half:

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Slight increase (over prior Win 11 builds) with latest official build/release of Windows 11 by the way (build .348). Maybe 10% improvement. But still way down from Windows 10 performance -- so something is still not quite right with Win 11 and NVMe SSD random write performance.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I noticed the same drop in performance on my Samsung 980 Pro on the Random Write IOPS. Rest of the performance stats are the same.

Maybe my scenario will help Microsoft debug this. Because I had this working on Windows 11 properly with about 800k IOPS for Random Write.

1) I upgraded Windows 10 to Windows 11 still on my Adata XPG SX 8200 Pro 1TB PCIe 3.0 nvme SSD.

2) I than with Black Friday bought a Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB PCIe 4.0 nvme SSD.

3) I moved my Adata to my second M2 slot on my B550 motherboard. And put the Samsung in the first M2 slot, directly linked to the CPU.

4) Initial benchmark showed 800k Random Write IOPS on Windows 11.

5) I than cloned the Adata drive to the Samsung drive. And booted Windows 11 from the Samsung drive, all still fine here and still 800k Random Write IOPS.

6) I decided I wanted a clean install of Windows 11 instead of an upgrade. Therefor I did a clean install on the Samsung drive.

7) After the clean install, installing all drivers and such. Benchmark shows the same as image above. Sequential Read and Write still the same original speeds, Random Read IOPS still at 980k IOPS. However, now my Random Write IOPS have dropped from 800k to just 290k IOPS. That is a massive 60% drop in performance for Random Write. This is a clean install of Windows 11 so not much what can cause this issue in terms of programs or utilities. All drivers are up to date and so is Windows running version 2200.348

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Could it be that the clean install enabled VBS (and it was not enabled previously with just the upgrade)? I believe upgrade installs do NOT enable VBS, unless you had it enabled in Windows 10.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have validated that VBS is not running by checking Device security --> Core isolation --> Memory integrity == Off

Also checking msinfo32 (System Information) Virtualisation-based security == Not enabled

I also tried setting the following Registry key:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard

EnableVirtualizationBasedSecurity == 0

That also did not make a difference.

So far it appears the dirve only opperates at full Random write IOPS when it is not the primary drive running Windows 11.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here. When will there be a fix for this issue??

Horrible.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'd like to know that as well. But so far I have yet to see that Microsoft has verified the issue.

I am already glad to see that I am not the only one. Really started to doubt myself and almost had send in my SSD for a RMA because of this.

Honestly I regret upgrading to Windows 11, so far has giving me nothing but a headache.

- This above issue for Random Write issue.

- The Level 3 cache issue on AMD platform that still hasn't been fully resolved. Bandwidth is still very very low, only the latency is fixed.

- VR performance on WMR has been abysmal on Windows 11. My HP Reverb G2 ran great on Windows 10.

- Random hangs while working on my PC, making me have to hard reset my PC. Mouse still moves, but the entire UI just becomes unresponsive.

But yeah, those topics are for another thread.

Below screenshots of my results:

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB as secondary drive (Windows on another drive):

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB as primary drive (Same disk but now with windows running on it):

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB now as my secondary drive (Windows on the Samsung 980 Pro 2TB):

You see that the Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB outperforms the Samsung 980 Pro 2TB when it comes to Random Write IOPS now. The latter is a PCIe 4.0 drive and the 970 EVO Plus a PCIe 3.0 drive. It appears only the drive where Windows is installed on is affected by the performance issue.

I firstly thought I did not have the issue after I cloned Windows to the 980 Pro, but I later saw that I did not run a benchmark. So I cannot confirm if the issue only affects clean install, or also updates.

But I can confirm the issue apparently is only present on the primary drive that is running Windows 11.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There are definitely many many others with this issue -- various threads here:

Windows 11 bug -- has crippled SSD (NVMe) Random Write Speeds : Windows11 (reddit.com)

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 27, 2022 Views 8,052 Applies to: