Windows 11 Network unable to access devices

Windows 11 Network can discover all of my devices, but I'm unable to access the data on the external hard-drives, and i can't see the devices in the Navigation Pane. My Windows 10 laptop can can access everything, and the Navigation Pane shows all of the devices. How can I do the same in Windows 11?

|
Hi, Adam89MB. I'm sorry to hear you're having this problem, and I hope I can assist you to find a satisfactory solution.

Let's check all the network and sharing settings, follow a step by step below:

Check network and sharing settings: Ensure that network discovery is enabled on your Windows 11 device. Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Sharing and make sure "Network discovery" is turned on.

Confirm network profile: Verify that your network connection is set to a private network profile. Open Settings > Network & Internet > Status, click on "Properties" under the network you're connected to, and ensure that the network profile is set to "Private."

Disable firewall and antivirus temporarily: Temporarily disable your firewall and antivirus software to check if they are blocking the network access. If you can access the devices after disabling them, you may need to adjust the settings or add exceptions for the devices you want to access.

Update network drivers: Make sure your network drivers are up to date. You can visit the website of your device manufacturer or the network adapter manufacturer to download and install the latest drivers.

Check network permissions: Verify that the network permissions are properly set for the devices you want to access. Right-click on the external hard drives, go to the "Sharing" tab, and ensure that the appropriate sharing permissions are enabled.

Restart network devices: Restart your router, modem, and any other network devices you have. Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve connectivity issues.

Reset network settings: If all else fails, you can try resetting your network settings in Windows 11. Open Settings > Network & Internet > Status, scroll down and click on "Network reset," and follow the instructions to reset your network settings. Note that this will remove your network connections and settings, so you'll need to set them up again.

Let me Know if works.

Please note: This is a user-to-user community forum. We are users just like you who help others. We are not employees of Microsoft.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Don't forget that you also have to share something on your computer in order to see other computers' shares. Don't know why, but it often gets reset with a Windows update.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Doesn't work, I tried your explaination and clicked on network in winows explorer & other devices there is no other computer.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not sure what is going on with Windows 11 not showing other devices as I can't get this feature to work either, and I spent three useless hours of looking without success. I finally was able to get into my shared folder by following the following steps using a simple command prompt (Windows key + R): \\network\computer name (insert the name of computer here). This worked once and instantly opened my Linux share in Windows explorer. My joy was short lived as subsequent attempts failed. However, I was able to get into my shared folder by using \\computer name in run command. Once it opened, I dragged the folder into quick access and now I can access the folder immediately. Interestingly, the computer and folder still refuse to show up under "Network".

Not sure if it's related but my printer isn't visible under "Network" either nor is the computer that I am using ( I can see my router/modem) but yet it works when I request a print job and this printer can only be accessed through WiFi. It seems that a lot of stuff no longer works once it was removed from Control Panel.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your reply. I've solved this now and after retracing my steps I'll get back to you and let you know what I did.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Funny thing, after posting, and using the shared folder with my laptop, which was not part of the equation earlier, I can now see my Windows computers under network on all Windows computers, where before nothing showed up.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had same prob in Win 11. 3 local peer to peer computers on personal network. Mine dropped off when added third in File Exp network. This fixed mine:

Settings: Network & Internet: Advanced network settings:

Advanced sharing settings:

Private networks:

Set network discover to on.

Check box to set up network connected devices automatically.

Set file and printer sharing to on.

All networks:

Set Public folder sharing to off and Password protected sharing to on.

My PC now shows up again in File Explorer along with the other 2.

I had all these settings on except the one under all networks for set password protected sharing to on. That one did it. Good luck!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I recently ran into this problem as well. I couldn't connect to my drives but I could connect via remote desktop. My issue was a setting in Network & Internet Settings>Advanced Network Settings>Advanced Sharing. My setting for Files and Printer sharing on my private network had changed. I'm not sure how but I rechecked it and fixed my problems.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for you reply. I've managed to fix it after adjusting credentials.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Right on, I was working on this for over a hour turning on everything on the network settings, all the services even enabling all apps on the firewall. For some reason nothing changed still couldn't see the computer on network. Then I just shut it all off. Turned everything on for private network, and left the public network all off, and voila my pc showed up on the network. Stupid if you ask me, microsoft making networking harder and worse with every update.

Advice for microsoft.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T MESS WITH IT!!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 18,168 Applies to: