Windows 11 Mail App not syncing with my exchange account and pop up of "are you trying to add update or remove your email account" continues to come up

Hi,

I've searched all through forums and I can't seem to find a solution here. I had a Dell XPS 13 since 2016 running windows 10, happily with the mail app syncing and working nicely with my outlook.com account and a company Microsoft exchange account. This had me view my emails & calendar as one.

I have upgraded to another Dell XPS 13 just this week, by default my OS is now Windows 11. The Mail & Calendar App though does not seem to sync and connect to my exchange account.

Due to being a company account I need to set up using the advance settings, this I have done many times before and for other team members so I know I have the settings correct. Along with this it found the settings and opened up a window for my company to enter my SSO details and verify. This was all successful.

There are no errors saying the account information requires fixing, and when looking to manage the account sync settings it's greyed out and says "Syncing your content....". It has been like this for days.

I've deleted and re-installed the Windows Mail App, I've also completed a "repair" and "reset" via Windows Settings. I've ran troubleshooting which showed "hanging and crashing apps" which I am unsure how to fix or if relevant. I have also removed the account and set up again multiple times.

I'm totally at a loss with how to fix this.

I can handle using a web browser to function my emails, this is what I normally do. However with multiple shared calendars for work, plus my own Outlook calendar, the Calendar function of the Windows App was amazing to overlay it all and I really need this feature back.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Delete all the Win 11 Mail app accounts, re-start the PC, once fully loaded add only the outlook.com mail account, and test mail, does that all function correctely?

Under the win11 mail app there are no advanced settings it uses auto setup to add the mail account

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

There is an advanced setup in the Windows 11 Mail app. Operators who use exchange active sync provide instructions how to setup in Windows 10 and 11 which is the same instructions. Windows 10 works fine, has for many years and still is on my Surface Pro 6. On Windows 11 it always gets hung up asking if you are adding an account. When you respond, the File Picker UI disappears to your task bar and stays open. With each boot or launch of the mail app you are asked again with another window that stays open. It seems as though it never properly processes your response.

Mail app works fine with outlook email address and other accounts. Does not work for the one EAS account which is REQUIRED in my case. I wish I never installed Windows 11, I can't imagine anyone liking it. Is not productive for the workplace at all.

If someone has found a solution, please post.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The reason why your Microsoft Exchange doesn't sync anymore is because Microsoft has disabled the Sync for the "Exchange ActiveSync" option in Windows 11 Mail. This is probably to encourage you to buy their Microsoft 365 subscription to force you to use Outlook.

As an alternative, you will need to use POP or IMAP to get sync working.

1. Delete the Windows 11 Mail Account.

2. Then in the Mail app, click on "Add account".

3. A popup with a list of common mail site appears. Click on Advanced setup.

4. You'll see 2 options, click on "Internet email"

5. Then fill out the required credentials for your POP or IMAP settings.

6. After clicking SignIn, you will be presented with the mail settings. And you'll see sync enabled automatically.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

typical M$ doing

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Generic Generic, where can I find that information?.. I have this issue too but I need to know If MS has disable the syn for Exchange Active Sync. Somebody knows if this is true and where can I find this?

Regards!... and thank you in advice!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft confirmed this with me in a support chat. No fix yet or planned.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Does anyone know if there's a way to bug report or upvote it?

You would think if Microsoft was eliminating the feature, they'd remove the ability to add new accounts.

In addition - if you HAVE this configured on Windows 10 mail, and then in-place upgrade your machine to Windows 11 mail, the existing accounts still work (tested!). Only adding new accounts under Windows 11 is broken.

And I know this won't help everyone, but the workaround for me was to use Outlook 365/201X/202X to connect to my Exchange server accounts - that still works fine for me even under Windows 11.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks. I did not upgrade my machine but purchased a new PC with Win 11 so all accounts on setup were "new." I also don't subscribe to 365. Glad you were able to get it running. Microsoft is a real disappointment on this issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

All -

For what it's worth, this issue seems to be completely resolved with 22H2. I was able to add my EAS accounts for my onprem Exchange server, and everything just worked!

Glen

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

what is 22H2

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 12, 2024 Views 6,978 Applies to: