Windows 11 Destroyed my computer

Hello,

I'm absolutely baffled by what Microsoft has done. I woke up this morning to an update in progress restarting my computer. I left came back and it hadn't finished so I left it. When I got back later in the day the computer was at my log in screen and looked normal but the lockscreen background had changed. I entered my password and after an hour of "preparing your computer" the machine logged into my account, blank, no start menu, no programs, no access to anything just a newer Windows 11 background. Previous to this my machine updated to Windows 11 without any issues and I've used it now going on a month or so. Now I am left without any of my data and unable to produce any work. Who is going to fix this? Who is paying for what appears to be all my lost data? Who is paying the loss of productivity at work? I have no words just pure frustration combined with anger as I'm stuck trying to contact someone using a dinosaur laptop running Windows 7. After bricking a $2200 machine there's no point sticking with Microsoft at this point, Apple has never done this to me.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Quiver888 -

I'm Jerico T., I understand that you're having some issues right now and I'd be more than happy to help you today.

Please try to restart (not shutdown) your computer 4 times, let it reach your desktop before the next restart and check if it will fix your concern. If in case the issue still persist, please boot your computer to safemode, click the link below for the steps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/sta...

In safemode, perform system restore.

System Restore
- System restore is where it will take your computer settings back to an earlier point in time where everything is working fine.

1. Open the run box by pressing Windows Key + R and type rstrui.exe then press enter.
2. System restore windows will open. Normally it will suggest a restore point(Sometimes it doesn't), if it does, select the 2nd option to select more restore points.
3. Select your desired restore point date and time.
4. Once selected, hit next and finish.

Windows will restart itself to start system restore. System restore might take some time to complete and it is very important that system restore must not be interrupted during restore process as it might damaged the operating system. System restore will take at least 20 minutes or more depending on the content of the computer and the changes on the settings that was done prior to the date selected. System restore will also removed application , updates and drivers installed prior to the date selected.

DISCLAIMER:
System Restore is a recovery tool for Windows that allows you to reverse certain kinds of changes made to the operating system. System Restore is used to return important Windows files and settings—like drivers, registry keys, system files, installed programs, and more—back to previous versions and settings. Being said all applications and changes made prior to the date selected will be removed and needs to be re-installed if its needed.

Feel free to reach back if you need any further assistance.

Hope this help. Have a good day.

Thank you,
Jerico T.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Quiver888 -

Thank you for the detailed response. I see, did the update got completed? If so, did it make any change? If not, let's try to perform In-place Repair/Upgrade.

In-Place Repair
- In-place repair/upgrade or repair reinstall is a process of re-installing Windows without touching any of your applications or personal files. In this way if there's any data corruption, damaged system files or missing system files on your computer, this repair will fix or repair them.

To start we need to download an ISO file of Windows 11 and save it to your computer. Please follow the instruction on the link below to create an ISO file

https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/win...

After the ISO is created, follow the steps below on how to perform repair install on your computer.

Note: Please make sure that you're signed in or have administrator rights to be able to proceed for the repair install.

1. Unplug all external hardware except mouse, keyboard and LAN cable.
2. Disable or uninstall any third-party antivirus program/application to prevent them from interfering with the repair install.
3. Run the ISO file that you downloaded, if there's a prompt asking you "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?" Click Yes
4. Windows 10 setup will open, read the license terms then Click Accept button.
5. Select Upgrade PC now then click Next button.
6. Follow the on-screen steps.

This process will take some time to complete so you need to be very patient in waiting until the process completes. Once done , restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,
Jerico T.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My heart goes out to you! I bought an IBUYPower PC with Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900KF CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical  , nice tower , liquid cooling system and very good motherboard and NVIDA GeForce RTX 2070 Super GPU. One of the few last robust systems I have ever owned besides my old Gigabyte Tower Quad Intel Series I built.

After 3 days from its update from 10 to 11 without my permission! I noticed my pc would just shutdown with no notice at all. On each and every reboot of the system? it would race my processor up to limits in overclocking for no reason! To the point, it over heated and damaged the Thermal Cooling system!

I have a 24TB Nas system so my data I was able to save, prior to this update, My Seagate Nas mirrored my C \ Drive and all of its data. Thank God!

In short I have to replace the Thermal cooling system $79-100, The Asrock Gaming Motherboard $128.00 and now here is the scary part! The i9 9900KF CPU ! I believe got damaged from the bizarre Bug Windows 11 put it thru! before I could really figure out what was going on to stop it. This cost $595.99 Via Newegg: Intel Core i9 9th Gen - Core i9-9900KF Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (5.0 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I99900KF Desktop Processor Without Graphics - Newegg.com

So far the cost of My repairs are $902.00 not including tax. My machine is no longer under warranty either! I have worked in IT for D.O.D for 14 years and I have never seen anything this bad since Vista!

*I filled a complaint * Hopefully , I will get lucky and be able to save the processor.

**So In Summary: WARNING! DO NOT! UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 11 YET! IT COULD DESTROY YOUR PC.

I don't know what in the code or kernel is causing it to do this? Or why Microsoft released such a harmful Install?? is Baffling! Seriously Messed up. **

I am not giving up on Microsoft, even though I feel like I should, I hope they can repay me somehow for the damages. I hope they take ownership instead of all of us doing something very nasty.

38 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message

Microsoft ruined both of my Window 7 computers by forcing people to accept Windows 11. . Why would they do that and then expect normal everyday people to perform all this downloading and rebooting that requires a professional computer technician to perform.

I spent a half day with Costco computer people trying to get my Window 11 PC to run. They didn’t know what they were doing and my perfectly good computer was ruined by all these updates window keeps downloading. I had to have a new hard drive put in just before 1 year because it wouldn’t download updates from Microsoft. It is an invasion of privacy and destruction of property by changing records that people have paid good money for.

If Microsoft would just give people the options of downloading it would be a perfect world. All my files disappeared last year because of Microsoft. My Ancestry Files that I had worked years on were gone and pictures. I did back them up but what right do they have for doing that? Now I have to buy a new computer and try putting my stuff back on.

33 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft ruined both of my Window 7 computers by forcing people to accept Windows 11. . Why would they do that and then expect normal everyday people to perform all this downloading and rebooting that requires a professional computer technician to perform.

I spent a half day with Costco computer people trying to get my Window 11 PC to run. They didn’t know what they were doing and my perfectly good computer was ruined by all these updates window keeps downloading. I had to have a new hard drive put in just before 1 year because it wouldn’t download updates from Microsoft. It is an invasion of privacy and destruction of property by changing records that people have paid good money for.

If Microsoft would just give people the options of downloading it would be a perfect world. All my files disappeared last year because of Microsoft. My Ancestry Files that I had worked years on were gone and pictures. I did back them up but what right do they have for doing that? Now I have to buy a new computer and try putting my stuff back on.

I am sorry to hear what happened to you. I have worked in IT for over 17 years and I have not seen anything like this since the days of Vista.

1st , If your running windows 7? get off it! Its really not in compliance anymore and you would have to have some very strong malware and antivirus programs running to keep it. Yes as long as your browser choice allows its updates on that system , you could keep going, but normally I recommend to you Windows 10 Pro! not Home Edition. So if you can update to that. Do so. It will be better for you. Unless your running some old legacy item that needs that interface shell.

2nd To fix your issue, you have to go into the Registry and perform this task, which will prevent Windows 10 and 7 from updating to windows 11.

Go to this link: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/159624-how-specify-target-feature-update-version-windows-10-a.html

Select option two for REG File, Then Download the registry editor fix. Once this is done, Windows will begin to update on restart but do not be afraid, let it happen! Let it update fully to 21H2 , this will halt windows 11 update until some obscure date in the future like 2025 or something like that when end of life for Windows 10 expires. This will buy you allot of time, 3 years! and trust me with in that time period, Microsoft Developers will Fix! Windows 11 and all its bugs.

They never should have rolled it out! for customers to be some Petri dish test. Do this as soon as possible and this will fix your current situation and future problems.

Again, On behalf of the Tech World, we are sorry we could not get this info to you sooner. By the way, use a clean reinstall version of Windows when you do this, to make sure you have capture other problems.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Last night update occurred, woke up to insiders beta preview been installed on my Asus Flipbook.

Logged in , went to windows update, reported that update not working.

Opened explorer it froze so did a hard reset as would not restart explorer via Taskmaster

Dead…. Light blinking at start button, cannot boot. Nothing after powered off.

Power light when adaptor plugged in but nothing zip nada ….. its a BRICK

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Interesting, I thought most Asus Flips were Chromebooks OS's But this carries a light version of Windows ? Hmmm.

It sounds like the MBR Directory got corrupted in some update process. Now this is not a total lost! You can reimage the device with a stable version of Windows 10 Pro , Or have a tech retrieve all data from the hard drive , then fix it / reimage it and install the block from this happening again.

A Nice 16/32 Gb Thumb drive with Windows Installation on it should work very well to fix your problem. Sorry you had to experience such an unfortunate and needless update issue.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

they do not seem to understand most pc are useless unuseable or not even booting up due to this

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows 11 should never have been released while it was still in beta development. Users shouldn't have to waste their time doing a System Restore because the operating system is so unstable.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I'm absolutely baffled by what Microsoft has done. I woke up this morning to an update in progress restarting my computer. I left came back and it hadn't finished so I left it. When I got back later in the day the computer was at my log in screen and looked normal but the lockscreen background had changed. I entered my password and after an hour of "preparing your computer" the machine logged into my account, blank, no start menu, no programs, no access to anything just a newer Windows 11 background. Previous to this my machine updated to Windows 11 without any issues and I've used it now going on a month or so. Now I am left without any of my data and unable to produce any work. Who is going to fix this? Who is paying for what appears to be all my lost data? Who is paying the loss of productivity at work? I have no words just pure frustration combined with anger as I'm stuck trying to contact someone using a dinosaur laptop running Windows 7. After bricking a $2200 machine there's no point sticking with Microsoft at this point, Apple has never done this to me.

its true win11 has destroy many customers confidence and trust in microsoft. MS is trying to control and exploit the freedom and democracratic rights of the individual.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 30, 2024 Views 9,502 Applies to: