Windows 11 23H2 x64 (2023-11 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 KB5032007 and 2023-11 Cumulative Update KB5032190) fail to install

I have attempted to install the two updates several times and on each attempt the restart starts the update process via 4 reboots and on the fourth reboot I get a message that something went wrong.

I've again checked for updates and both updates are again ready to install on restart. The interesting thing is update history indicates one updated has been successfully installed:

I though I could install the updates by downloading the updates manually from the update catalog. Both updates result in a similar error that states the two updates are already installed.

How can I confirm the two updates are truly installed, and, if so, how do I stop "Windows Update" from continuing to attempt installing?

Thanks

Answer
Answer

Well, what a wasted couple of days. I went ahead with the repair upgrade option. Setup the USB stick, started the process... then "We couldn’t install Windows 11 0x8007000D – 0x40021, the installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP_RESPECIALIZE operation". The install process rolled back and I was where I started. Upon checking for this error I came across

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/kb5015814-installation-problems.7747/

Now this post has a lengthy history but one thing stood out - you must uninstall any AV programs, not just suspend them. Well, knock me over with a feather, I took the bold step to temporarily uninstall my AV software, and tried again to install the KB5032190 update. The updated completed successfully. I now have a working PC which isn't continually trying to install the same update over and over.

I suppose the morale here is to not take shortcuts. Now I can enjoy the remainder of the week, what's left of it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 11, 2024 Views 532 Applies to: