Windows 10 Won't Let me change the Width of the Start Menu in 1920 x 1080 Resolution

I am running Windows 10 Professional in 1920 x 1080 resolution.  I have two (2) monitors.   I can resize the Start Menu vertically but not horizontally on either monitor.  I have plenty of horizontal and vertical screen real estate, as can be seen by this screen shot of my desktop:

But every time I grab the right side of the Start Menu and attempt to drag it to the right (i.e. to widen it), it doesn't work. 

What am I missing here?

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

The issue could be due to the display card driver not updated. Usually when you install Windows 10 all the drivers for the hardware gets installed with the operating system files. If you are facing any issues with the drivers installation, then I would suggest you to go to the device manager and right click on the device so that you will have the option to upgrade the drivers. If you are still facing the issue, then you can download the drivers for that particular hardware from the manufacturers website and install in compatibility mode. Also check with the computer manufacturer to see if there are any updated drivers for Windows 10.

Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

Post us the results after you try the above steps.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I went to Device Manager and attempted to upgrade the display driver online, and this is the message I received:

Please note that when I installed Windows 10, I chose the "Nothing" option when asked what to save (i.e. performing a "clean" install).  I did the same on my Dell Inspiron 1540 Laptop (which is a much older machine than my HP Pavilion Desktop), and it resizes horizontally fine.

Any other suggestions?

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also checked the AMD Catalyst Control Center that Windows 10 installed during the "clean" installation, and it did, indeed, install the latest version, updated for Windows 10:

I also checked for "Software Updates" and it informed me that I was, indeed, running the latest AMD software.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I, too, am having the same issue as MasterVBGuru in two separate devices, one running Windows 10 Professional and the other running Windows 10 Home.  The vertical resize works, but not the horizontal so I am unable to utilize a lot of available blank space.

I do recall that, at least once in the past, the both resize options were working perfectly.  Could there have been something in a Windows 10 update that may be the root cause of this issue?

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 19, 2024 Views 1,704 Applies to: