Windows 10 will not connect to update service

I will say this first. I have looked at many other answers to this question on the community forum and have failed to find a solution to my problem. I was have a problem with my game and so I went to check and see if my computer needed an update. I then realized that it had not updated since February so I tried to update it. The windows update said it could not connect to the windows update server/service (can't remember the exact wording). I tried to see if the Troubleshooter would fix it but an unexpected error occurred and the troubleshooter could not continue. Sometimes updates can mess up the computer so I decided to reset to a recovery point to before the computer failed to check automatically for updates. However, the system restore failed to restore for some unkown error. Error code (0x80070005). Even netch winsock reset failed to fix the problem. After all the mess I have had to deal with with windows 8, windows 8.1, and windows 8.1 update 1, I am at my wits end with windows 10. If anyone has a solution. I am all ears. 

Hi Brittany,

Here are some methods that I can suggest to resolve the issue you're having with Windows Updates.

Method 1: Rerun the Windows Update troubleshooter.

Run the troubleshooter again and see if it helps with the issue but this time, please take note of the error message that would appear. This way, we can get closer in finding our what went wrong on your end. Click here to download the troubleshooter.

Method 2: Run the Internet Connection troubleshooter.

It may be possible that this is caused by an internet connection issue. Please run the troubleshooter just to be sure. To run the troubleshooter, click Start > Settings > Update and Security > Troubleshoot > Internet Connections. Again, please provide the error message if it was unable to resolve the issue.

Method 3: Restart the Windows Update Service.

This may have been caused by the Windows Update services being Stopped. Follow these steps to Enable the service.

1. Press Windows key on your keyboard, type and click Services, and then look for Windows Update.
  2. Right-click Windows Update, and choose Properties.
  3. Look at the Service Status: and make sure if it's Running. Also, make sure that the Startup type is set to Automatic.

Let me know if there are improvements.

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Result for Method 1: "An error occurred while troubleshooting: An unexpected error has occurred. The troubleshooting wizard can't continue."

View Details

Package ID; Windows Update Diagnostic

Path: C:\Users\Brittany\Downloads\wa170509.diagcab

Error Code: 0x803C0103

Source: Engine

User:BRITT\Brittany

Context: Elevated

Result for Method 2: "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem.

Result for Method 3: It is running and on automatic(Triggered Start)

Did I only need to check and make sure that it was running? Or did I need to go ahead and stop it and then start it even though it said it was running?

What I am about to list are things that I had run into before I left this message in the community forum.

Also, I wanted to go ahead and add the error code I am running into when I tried to update Windows defender

"Protection definition update failed"

Error code: -2147012721

Error description: A security error occurred

And when I had tried to restore the computer it went through the motions of restoring but when it restarted and I signed in this was the message that popped up:

"System Restore did not complete successfully. You computer's system files and settings were not changed."

"Details: System Restore could not access a file. This is probably because an anti-virus program is running on the computer. Temporarily disable you antivirus program and retry System Restore. 

An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x80070005)" 

I tried to restore again with the antivirus disabled but the same message apeared again. 

The last update I had was on 2/13/2018. It was 2018-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB074588)

I have a failed install attempt on 2/21/2018 

It was 2018-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB074588)(2)

Nothing has fixed my problem yet.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for these updates, Brittany. Here are some further methods I can suggest to resolve the issue:

Method 1: Install the update manually.

Since you've mentioned that you have the Feb. 13, 2018 update, the latest KB you need to download the KB4090913 which was released on March 5, 2018. Search and download the KB here on the Microsoft Update Catalog and install it manually.

Method 2: Install the update in Safe Mode with Networking.

Installing it on this mode will eliminate any conflicts that is causing the error. Follow these steps:

1. Press Windows logo key Windows logo key + I on your keyboard to open Settings. If that doesn't work, select the Start button in the lower-left corner of your screen, then select Settings.
  2. Select Update & security > Recovery.
  3. Under Advanced startup, select Restart now.
  4. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
  5. After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.

Update me if there are improvements.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have good news! Windows is updating again! I went ahead and did your first three suggested steps a second time. Method 1 and 2 still didn't work. When I got to method 3, Windows Update in Services said it was running and on the Automatic setting but when I looked closer in the properties the stop button was grayed out and the start button wasn't. For some reason, the Services was showing Windows update as "Running" even though it was actually stopped. I am not sure what triggered it to stop but it is now running properly. After I pressed start in Properties, I went back and ran the update troubleshooter and it was able to run and popup problems to fix. When I first tried to update a different error code popped up but it gave the ability to retry the update. So I waited a few minutes and tried to update again. It finally started to download and then successfully install the new updates.  I don't know if that also fixed the problem with not being able to restore to a certain point but since the updates are running properly, I don't need to restore it right now. So Method 3 from your first reply is what fixed my windows update problem. I would just make sure to mention that the start button in the properties needs to be grayed out for people who aren't really tech savvy. Thank you so much for taking the time to give me advice and steps to help resolve this problem. I am so very grateful! 

Sorry this didn't help.

Glad to hear that your updates are going smooth now. Do post again if there's anything else you need.

All the best.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

The issue has popped up again. It was fixed on the 13th and then today I can no longer connect to the update server or the app store to download apps. I tried the steps again and it didn't fix it. So I don't know if the servers themselves are down or what but this is rather confusing.

Edited on 3/25/18 Though the starting the Windows Update in Services seemed to fix it and it was able to update, it seems to have relapsed and is once again unable to connect to the update server.

"We couldn't connect to the update service. We'll try again later, or you can check now. If it still doesn't work, make sure you're connected to the Internet." <--- This is the message that I get when I try to update and the trouble shooter is once again failing when it troubleshoots.

Another thing I have noticed is that the windows app Store fails to install or update apps as well.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 10, 2020 Views 18,843 Applies to: