Windows 10 vs. Dell 3100cn Printer

I resisted upgrading to Windows 10 under the advice of our I.T. Department citing numerous problematic issues but recently had my computer "commandeered" by Microsoft and forced to upgrade against my will (and better judgement).....

Dell 3100cn color, laser printer will not work with Widows 10....

To belabor the tech support questions/details:

- The printer has power, is plugged into the computer via a USB cord (plugged into a new outlet by itself) has paper, is free of jams and the spooler is clear

- I have removed and re-installed the printer on the computer (at least x4) but, maybe of particular note, the computer does not "see" the printer as being connected or available when searching - I have to do it manually

- I have removed the old driver and re-installed via Dell's website (even though they note that others have encountered similar problems, as far as I can tell they do not offer an update to accommodate Windows 10

- I have performed the Microsoft printer "Trouble Shooter" several times but it never can find a problem (nor can it "find" the printer as being connected)

Any suggestions?

Hi!

Is it a parallel port, or USB. You probably need the correct drivers.

Could you post a screenshot of device manager (Right click the start button and select Device Manager)? Just the window that comes up and just the way it is.

Hi!
A Microsoft support engineer will be with you shortly. Stay online your next.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the same problem. It worked fine until about 40 days into Win 10 from win 7. Crashes daily! Please help. I also reinstalled win 10 to no avail.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Tommy,

To help you resolve your concern, kindly reset your PC using installation media. If that doesn't work, you can use the same installation media to reinstall Windows 10 (also called performing a clean installation of Windows).

This will remove all your personal files, apps and drivers you installed, and app from your PC manufacturer, and changes you made to settings.  Here's how:

1. On a working PC, go to the Microsoft software download website.
  2. Download the media creation tool and then run it.
  3. Select Create installation media for another PC.
  4. Choose a language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit).
  5. Follow the steps to create installation media, and then select Finish.
  6. Connect the installation media you created to your non-functional PC, and then turn it on.
  7. On the initial setup screen, enter your language and other preferences, and then select Next. If you're not seeing the setup screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer's website for info on how to change your PC's boot order, and then try again.
  8. Select Install now.
  9. On the Enter the product key to activate Windows page, enter a product key if you have one. If you upgraded to Windows 10 for free or bought and activated Windows 10 from the Windows Store, select Skip and Windows will automatically activate later. For more details, see Activation in Windows 10.
  10. On the License terms page, select I accept the license terms (if you agree to them), then select Next.
  11. On the Which type of installation do you want? page, select Custom.
  12. On the Where do you want to install Windows? page, select a partition, select a formatting option (if necessary), and then follow the instructions.
  13. When you've finished formatting, select Next.
  14. Follow the rest of the setup instructions to finish installing Windows 10.

Do let us know if you need further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 11, 2024 Views 2,045 Applies to: