Windows 10. USB Device Driver Installation problem

Hi Everyone!

Can't install any new usb device, for example usb flash drive or wireless mouse receiver.

Hardware is fine because I can boot from this port using that flash drive. Tried different ports and devices.
When device is inserted I see "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)".

Tried "update driver -> search automatically ..." and "update driver -> browse my computer ...". Always receiving error "The system could not find the file specified."

Inside setupapi.dev.log I see

>>>  [Device Install (DiShowUpdateDevice) - USB\VID_0930&PID_6544\8C9CE4180690CD401D4477C4]
>>>  Section start 2015/11/07 16:21:36.967
      cmd: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmc.exe" "C:\WINDOWS\system32\compmgmt.msc" /s
     dvi: {DIF_UPDATEDRIVER_UI} 16:21:36.969
     dvi:      Default installer: Enter 16:21:36.972
     dvi:      Default installer: Exit
     dvi: {DIF_UPDATEDRIVER_UI - exit(0xe000020e)} 16:21:36.976
     ndv: {Update Driver Software Wizard for USB\VID_0930&PID_6544\8C9CE4180690CD401D4477C4}
     sto:      {Setup Import Driver Package: c:\windows\inf\usbstor.inf} 16:21:47.940
!    sto:           Unable to determine presence of driver package. Error = 0x00000002
     inf:           Provider: Microsoft
     inf:           Class GUID: {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}
     inf:           Driver Version: 06/21/2006,10.0.10240.16384
     sto:           {Copy Driver Package: c:\windows\inf\usbstor.inf} 16:21:47.952
     sto:                Driver Package = c:\windows\inf\usbstor.inf
     sto:                Flags          = 0x00000007
     sto:                Destination    = C:\Users\albo\AppData\Local\Temp\{a9b56182-b173-8846-9f81-fe2efa1a10bb}
     sto:                Copying driver package files to 'C:\Users\albo\AppData\Local\Temp\{a9b56182-b173-8846-9f81-fe2efa1a10bb}'.
     flq:                Copying 'c:\windows\inf\usbstor.inf' to 'C:\Users\albo\AppData\Local\Temp\{a9b56182-b173-8846-9f81-fe2efa1a10bb}\usbstor.inf'.
!!!  flq:                Error installing file (0x00000002)
!!!  flq:                Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
!    flq:                     SourceFile   - 'c:\windows\inf\USBSTOR.SYS'
!    flq:                     TargetFile   - 'C:\Users\albo\AppData\Local\Temp\{a9b56182-b173-8846-9f81-fe2efa1a10bb}\USBSTOR.SYS'
!!!  cpy:                Failed to copy file 'c:\windows\inf\USBSTOR.SYS' to 'C:\Users\albo\AppData\Local\Temp\{a9b56182-b173-8846-9f81-fe2efa1a10bb}\USBSTOR.SYS'. Error = 0x00000002
!!!  flq:                SPFQNOTIFY_COPYERROR: returned SPFQOPERATION_ABORT.
!!!  flq:                Error 995: The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.
!!!  flq:                FileQueueCommit aborting!
!!!  flq:                Error 995: The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.
!!!  sto:                Failed to copy driver package to 'C:\Users\albo\AppData\Local\Temp\{a9b56182-b173-8846-9f81-fe2efa1a10bb}'. Error = 0x00000002
     sto:           {Copy Driver Package: exit(0x00000002)} 16:21:47.997
     sto:      {Setup Import Driver Package - exit (0x00000002)} 16:21:48.000
!!!  ndv:      Driver package import failed for device.
!!!  ndv:      Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
     ndv:      Installing NULL driver.
     dvi:      {Plug and Play Service: Device Install for USB\VID_0930&PID_6544\8C9CE4180690CD401D4477C4}
!    ndv:           Installing NULL driver!
     dvi:           {DIF_ALLOW_INSTALL} 16:21:48.079
     dvi:                Default installer: Enter 16:21:48.079
     dvi:                Default installer: Exit
     dvi:           {DIF_ALLOW_INSTALL - exit(0xe000020e)} 16:21:48.080
     dvi:           {DIF_REGISTER_COINSTALLERS} 16:21:48.081
     dvi:                Default installer: Enter 16:21:48.082
     dvi:           {DIF_REGISTER_COINSTALLERS - exit(0x00000000)} 16:21:48.083
     dvi:           {DIF_INSTALLDEVICE} 16:21:48.083
     dvi:                Default installer: Enter 16:21:48.084
!    dvi:                     Installing NULL driver!
     dvi:                     Install Null Driver: Removing device sub-tree. 16:21:48.086
     dvi:                     Install Null Driver: Removing device sub-tree completed. 16:21:48.113
     dvi:                     Install Null Driver: Restarting device. 16:21:48.116
     dvi:                     Install Null Driver: Restarting device completed. 16:21:48.139
     dvi:                     Install Device: Starting device. 16:21:48.141
     dvi:                     Install Device: Starting device completed. 16:21:48.318
     dvi:           {DIF_INSTALLDEVICE - exit(0x00000000)} 16:21:48.321
     ump:      {Plug and Play Service: Device Install exit(00000000)}

File USBSTOR.SYS is absent in c:\windows\inf\.
Tried to place this file there, got error

!!!  sig:                     Driver package does not contain a catalog file, and Code Integrity is enforced.
!!!  sig:                     Driver package failed signature validation. Error = 0xE000022F

Also tried Device and drives troubleshooting from control panel - unsuccessful.

Any ideas how to fix this problem?

Hi Lex,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the issue that you are currently facing, we will try the best we can to resolve your issue.

• Did you make any changes to the computer prior to the issue?
  • Since when are you facing this issue?

Error code 28 indicates that the drivers for that device are not installed.

As of now I suggest you to restore the drivers to previous version by rolling back. To restore a driver to its previous version, kindly follow the below given steps.

You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

• Press Windows key + X and then click on Device Manager.
  • Double-click the category containing your device driver, and then double-click the name of the device that you want to restore to a previous driver version.
  • Click the Driver tab, and then click Roll Back Driver.

If you are logged on as a standard user, the button will be dimmed, which means it's unavailable. You must be logged on as an administrator to roll back a driver.

Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Nachappa,

Thank you for your reply. 

Unfortunately I can't remember any significant change prior to the issue.

Yes, the issue that I cant install any new driver in my system, even very common like mass storage driver.

I logged as administrator, the "rollback driver" button is dimmed. Probably this happen because driver isn't installed.

I also tried rollback drive for USB Controllers. Also unsuccessful, perhaps there is no previous version that can be used for rollback.

Also as recommended in the internet I've tried to perform "sfc /scannow" command to check system files. Got everything is OK message.

By the way perhaps this problems relates not only to USB devices, because "GeForce Experience" application from nVidia can't update my PCI-E graphic card driver. Just a suggestion.

Any ideas how to fix my system?

Best regards, Alex B.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi everyone. 

Any updates on my problem?
By the way I just tried to uninstall all USB controllers as recomended in other tiket. Unfortunately as soon as I did it I lost my mouse and keyboard (they are also connected using USB). So I press shutdown button and then boot the system again. The mouse and keyboard was unavailable. So I had to recover it using restore point. 
Also tried reinstall this driver using "Disable Driver signature Enforcement" option from boot menu. Unsuccessful again.

Please help.

Best regards, Alex B.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Another 10 days gone, still no solution.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Lex i am having this issue too and with brand new Flash Drives unfortunately all of the solutions just cause worse problems i am starting to seriously consider going back to windows 7 due to all the problems and Microsoft's seemingly inability to fix basic functions of the operating system and what appears to be a wide spread problem

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok after the litany of issues ive been having with windows 10 and all my attempts at repair just making the problem worse i decided to give it one last chance and made a recovery DVD to do a reset of my PC its going to take a long time to get everything back the way i like it and restoring from the backups is annoying but my USB devices are working properly now

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 28, 2023 Views 22,527 Applies to: